Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a SWITCH

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Default Help with a SWITCH

I'm trying to install a switch on my Monitor Mod to turn on/off the LEDs to my acrylic panel. I plan on installing the switch into the button panel that I've already got but the problem is that the panel is only about 1/4 inch deep.

I went down to the local RadioShack and found a switch that was the perfect size but it isn't an on/off switch.

I've done some surfing on the web but can't find any on/off switches that will fit into the button panel. This is where I would like some help. Does anyone know where I can find a very small, no thicker than 1/4 inch, ON/OFF, push button and non-illuminated switch? I would like it to be a push button ON/OFF switch not a toggle so it'll blend into the style of the rest of the mod. I don't want it to light up because it'll drain the power source I plan on using the switch for.

Thx for any information you can proved.
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Help with a SWITCH

Did you try looking at any hardware stores? I was at ACE yesterday, to buy a new dremel, and they had a ton of that kind of stuff, although I don't know if there were any that thin, since I wasn't paying too much attention to them.

www.mouser.com has several that meet your size requirements.

Thx Mach, I've never heard of that sight but just in the few minutes I surfed around there I found tons of switches.

Now I did find a data sheet on some of size of switches I was looking for but I can't tell if there on/off switches like I want or just like the other ones I found at RadioShack. Does double pole-double throw, momentary & maintained action mean when I push it once it turns on and doesn't turn off until I push it again? I'm not sure of the proper terminology.

Double pole means there will be 4 terminals to terminate on. Usually a double pole in the electrical world is a 240V switch. You can just use 2 of the terminals for your LEDs or switch 2 different circuits if you have the need. Double throw means it has 2 positions (On or Off).

Momentary means it'll work like your power switch on your tower while maintained means it can hold the position it's in (On or Off). Double pole means there will be 4 terminals to terminate on. Usually a double pole in the electrical world is a 240V switch. You can just use 2 of the terminals for your LEDs or switch 2 different circuits if you have the need. Double throw means it has 2 positions (On or Off).

OK so I need to make sure it says it's a maintained switch. Well then I think I found one, MHPS2266. According to the information provided this should workout just fine. Thanks for all the help and for the brake down of what all that stuff means Killa_Ape.

I would just get a On/Off 16mm Vandalproof Switch
    from Gammods. Link <=-

Yes, Eclecticos, those switches are very cool but just a little to big and won't fit where I need to put it.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Space,

When your looking for the switch, most of the ones labeled as "Push button" switches will be momentary.
    Also don't assume that all double pole switches are 240V, the double pole switch is used extensively in the automotive electronics world so they are just as likely to be rated for 12& 24Vdc... Always check the ratings (printed on the side of most switches) or look up there part number for complete specs.

(Space I know the rest of this may not help you but it's good info for others and who knows maybe you'll use it somewhere else in this ... very Cool mod your doing!)

As For the cool Vandalproof Switches.... If your looking for Momentary and don't have to have the illumination... Here's a Domed Top style for $3.95(us) and A Flat top Style for $3.95
    All Electronics Is a great place to get Parts cheap, they always have new and different stock so check back if you don't see what you need.

(No I don't work for All Electronics or receive any kind of incentives to pimp them... I just think they are a good company and I've always gotten great service and low prices from them)

GOOD LUCK!
    CrazyBillyBob

Thx, CrazyBillyBob, for the added info and the web link. I will be using that site later on future projects.