Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAID Config Question

Default RAID Config Question

I am building my new rig and want to have a Mirrored RAID for a system drive. No biggie... cept that I have no floppy (and don't really want one either).

Now, I know that if the RAID was just a data drive (non-system) that I could just create the RAID after the 'puter was set up and OS installed. No biggie there, but my question is can I do that with a system drive?

In other words, can I install my OS on a single drive and get it all working and updated THEN install the other drive and create the array afterward?

Another kicker is that I'm going to dual (or triple) boot with XP/Vista/Ubuntu. My goal would be to have the three OSs installed and then just mirror the drive.

Can it be done?

Default Re: RAID Config Question

It would be easier to create a slipstreamed version of XP which has the RAID driver.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Okay... I don't know what a Slipstream version of XP is.

Please 'splain.

that program will help you "tweak" the windows installation. it gives feature like unmanned install so you dont have to type in serial keys and set the region. another benifit is that it allows you to preinstall programs and apps.

in your case just add the raid driver when it asks if you want to add any drivers in. once thats done, pop the cd in and the install will pick the driver up. its also a good idea to upgrade the installation to sp3 so you dont have to download it all the time
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

thanks for the reply, si-skyline. but normally, it only looks for a floppy at that point. AFAIK, you cannot install the raid drivers from CD during the install. please correct me if i'm wrong.

That program creates a custom CD (Windows Install Disc)

see the reason the windows install asks for a floppy is because it connot find a driver on the windows install cd.

so you kinda botch it with nlite. to make a custom one with the driver in it. burn to a cd and then use the cd you created as you would with a normal xp cd.

if you wanted and it sounds too comlacated. head on over to ebay and buy a usb floppy for like 5 pound.

but i recommend nlite, it is a simple process to do when you are familiour with the program and its only the price of a cd and will come in handy in the future.

there is also a vista version too if you were looking into that. its serprisingly called vlite
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

You don't need a floppy drive in the Vista install You can use anything from a CD to a USB stick.

Triple booting Vista XP and Ubuntu in raid is going to be one helluvabitch to get running using software raid drivers.

I'm guessing that your best bet by far for doing this is to buy a Raid controller card (promise I think do one with Linux drivers). That way the card will be doing the Raid work and presenting a single drive to your machine and you can install away at your hearts content as many OS's as you want.

Otherwise quick research indicates you may have a lot of trouble just getting XP and Linux to dual boot, it won't be a proper Raid in any place most likely and though your Linux will be able to access your NTFS partitions your XP wont see the Linux partition. And you will need to replace the Grub loader with something else as Grub won't see the XP partition.

Vista only makes things worse it seems. All three on one machine ... in Raid .... ouch. Seriously buy a Raid card you will be a lot happier and save yourself about a week of brain damage.

Crazy