Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10 Best Apocalyptic vehicles...

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: 10 Best Apocalyptic vehicles...

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    My dad's Grand Cherokee is either an '02, and the only thing that affected the driving on it that ever went (not counting tires, brakes, etc.) was a chip, that stopped working correctly (probably not soldered good enough) two days after buying it.
    And, two days after saying that, the transmission's shot. At least it went for 113,000 miles.

My Original Cherokee has lasted me 250,000. I don't like the newer ones.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Toyota Land Cruiser would be my choice. Weld some plate steel on the body and over all the glass, add a few strategic ports for weapons and your good to go. This is more feasable because they are easy to find after the apocalypse. Finding the keys to a tank however, would be a challenge

"The Land Cruiser is able to tackle the hardest terrain without breaking a sweat. What's more, this ability doesn't hamper the truck's level of control and ease of operation on the freeway and two-lane roads. It may not have the speed nor the frame for high speed driving, gut then again its an SUV. And its one of the best, specially in its habitat, the rough uneven trails of adventures. "

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

My parents' last two vehicles (the Jeep and a '93 Grand Prix) that they kept for over 100,000 miles had the transmission go after around 115,000. My mom's aunt has a '92 or '93 Oldsmobile 88 or something, that has around 240,00 miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Even if they weren't afraid to go offroading, chances are it'd give up long before the FJ40 ever would.

Same with new Jeeps.

Know what Jeep stands for?

Just Empty Every Pocket...
    Ain't that the truth. Many moons ago I had a run in with a drug dealer. He put a quart of sandblasting beads down the oil filler. I got almost 12 miles before the engine seized on me. My mechanic was amazed that I got it out of the driveway (they still tell that story). As soon as I heard the funky noise I headed to his shop (I only let select few work on my FJ40...), and rolled into the parking lot, when I put the clutch in the engine seized...

During our camping trips in the wilderness, we have pulled many vehicles out of trouble. Usually don't have the hubs locked either. Most of those vehicles were jeeps.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

The 4WD part-time will get you through a lot of stuff, but some people seem to think that they can go through anything.

Well my bike that I built was once described as "Looking like something out of Mad Max" if that counts

I mainly picked the Cherokee because there were so many produced. It is hard for me not to see 5-6 Cherokees on the way to the store. There would be no problem finding parts.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Many moons ago I had a run in with a drug dealer. He put a quart of sandblasting beads down the oil filler. I got almost 12 miles before the engine seized on me. My mechanic was amazed that I got it out of the driveway (they still tell that story). As soon as I heard the funky noise I headed to his shop (I only let select few work on my FJ40...), and rolled into the parking lot, when I put the clutch in the engine seized...

During our camping trips in the wilderness, we have pulled many vehicles out of trouble. Usually don't have the hubs locked either. Most of those vehicles were jeeps.
    Crazy.

Japan has made awesome trucks. Hilux, FJ40, Hardbody and the Pathfinder. All the old ones (Especially Hardbodies and Pathfinders) are crazy tough. Ran a Pathfinder ('91 model iirc) without oil (bone dry, no joke), for a good 25,000mi. The mechanics were surprised that the engine still worked just fine.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I ran my new craftsman mower without any oil, and it went through about half of the yard before it seized up. Luckily, I was able to free it back up, after pouring the quart of oil into it.