Thread: Laptop fan

Default Laptop fan

Hi, I am new to modding, so I have little experience. I wish to replace my laptop fan with something more efficient, as I plan on taking it out of the case in the future. On the fan, it is labeled 5V and 0.2 amps and it is 3 pins (Blue, Grey, and Black). If I want to replace it with, lets say...a CPU cooler, assuming it has enough power, how would I go about doing this?

Default Re: Laptop fan

Laptop fans are normally like blowers, it's going to be hard to use a laptop with a big HSF hanging off the bottom.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I am planning on removing my laptop from its original casing and convert it to a desktop, since the battery is dead anyway, so that will not be much of a problem. However, my main concern is finding a spot on the motherboard where I can draw power for a better cooler, hopefully the original fan pins.

The only problem with that is that the original fan is likely throttled, so it's not a constant power ouput. You could get 5v from a usb connector, on the board, and if you have a usb hub, then there's no worries about taking up a valuable usb port.

Depending on the CPU, you might even be able to get away with just a heatsink.. completely passive cooling would be silent, but if you are concerned about that, you could just use the existing fan (custom mount to a big heatsink), and it'll spin up as needed.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

You could get a bigger fan that would move more air in fewer RPMs. The fan in my laptop is just connected with a 2-pin fan plug.