Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good vibration dampening material

Fresh Paint

Default Good vibration dampening material

I'm considering producing a project, where I will be producing a case from scratch (will make a work log somewhere when I get round to actually starting it), but i'm wondering what would a good vibration dampening material be?

By such, I mean a material to go between the sheet metal on the bottom and the devices, which are prone to vibration - hard drives, dvd drives + psu. Know of anything that's worth using? Something like a rubber sheet or another material of that sort?

If you have anything specific post links; UK links would be best, but other links would be able to give me a good idea. Thanks.

If you're a little confused, I intend to line the entire bottom of the case with one material to act as a dampener.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Good vibration dampening material

Or silicone. You can buy sheets fitted for specific fan sizes, and also washers and power supply insulators from newegg.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    You can buy sheets fitted for specific fan sizes, and also washers and power supply insulators from newegg.
    That's what I want to avoid.
    Can get quite expensive if you do it for several hard drives, several dvd drives and the PSU.
    So thought as a good way around it, just line the entire bottom layer with it.

I got two fan dampeners and either four or eight washers for $4 or $5. It could get expensive for that much stuff, though.

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

Hmmm, you can buy some sheets of rubber, I once used some roofing liner in a simmilar manner. You'll have to try and keep track of heat though, I know hard-drives can get pretty hot on the bottom so need to take that into account. Normally when I do dampening I only insulate the points of contact and leave the remainder open. Such as a hard drive mounted to a flat sheet, I would use two strips of insulation where the screws held it down, but leave just a small amount of space between the bottom of the drive and the base material. No so much for ventilation, but just to avoid heat capture. (ok so ventilation, but not full out fan blowing that we normally talk about)

I would suggest using Dynamat.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by halcyonforever View Post
    Such as a hard drive mounted to a flat sheet, I would use two strips of insulation where the screws held it down, but leave just a small amount of space between the bottom of the drive and the base material. No so much for ventilation, but just to avoid heat capture. (ok so ventilation, but not full out fan blowing that we normally talk about)
    I intend to side mount the hard drives anyway, so all it would be touching is the side (with the screws), though I could cut away extra slits to help with the ventilation of the screw side.

The actual surface of the hard drive should be well cooled; will be using a dedicated fan (maybe 2 - one intake; one exhaust) for the hard drives. That dynamat stuff looks great, until I saw the price of the stuff.

Still uncertain of a suitable material; seems so hard to get such a small amount of the material! I could always use sound insulation but I would have thought that would get it alot hotter than something like rubber Will also need to be able to tap screws through the material, for the hard drives.

If you pay for shipping, I can send you my washers. Just PM me with your address.

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the offer mate , but I'm in the UK so that could also get quite expensive. :p
    I can get washers/grommets pretty cheaply too (much cheaper than that), that's not the problem, the dampening on parts other than the screws is the more expensive bit.

true