Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up raid with no floppy?

Default Setting up raid with no floppy?

ok, here's my situation. I have my new Bone Trail mobo all put together but i dont know how i am going to set up the raid aray. The mobo has no floppy connector on it and i have xp or vista upgrade i can load onto it. Now, with the vista upgrade, i'll have to install xp first so i have to get this working for xp then i can upgrade to vista if i feel like it later. I downloaded the raid drivers from intel but they only make a driver disk and when i ran the program it pointed out that i dont have a floppy drive. Apparently the driver program only owrks if you have A:/

I got a friend of mine to lend me his thumb drive but i cant set it as A:/ so the program will not load the drivers.

Seriously... who makes a mobo with no floppy drive then gives you a floppy set up driver program. Somone wasnt thinking...

Any ideas?

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Setting up raid with no floppy?

You can use Nero to make a bootable CD with a floppy image, and there's also another way to do it. You'd probably find it right away on google. Or you could get a USB floppy drive. Most motherboards do support them now, I think.

i could get a usb floppy but then i'd have to pay for it and wait at least a week for it to ship.

I cant burn the files because there locked in the floppy maker program.

I'm working on somthing here, i'll let you know how it goes.

When I installed my system, I had to make a new ISO of Windows XP 64 with the raid image before I could install. I had an IDE floppy drive that wasn't supported.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

this is flipping retarded!

I moved my disk's into the new chassi and low and behold! windows starts loading. I figure its going to give me some error and fail. Nope! I have sucsessfully moved an array from one computer to another. I get a message that pops up saying that due to asubstancial hardware change windows will need to be re-activated. Great, one less thing to fuss about. Now i cant get my cd drive to display properly. I can use the internet because i havent installed the ethernet drivers.

Im going to try and load the software onto an IDE drive i have and see if it'll show on hte new computer.

What controllers are you using for both PCs?
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Use a flash drive to transfer the drivers in.. much easier.

Next, have you confirmed that it is operating as an array? If you are using it to mirror, then make sure it's actually doing that, or it'll be a sad day when a drive dies.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Both boards have the ICH8 chipset which like the flux capacitor; makes time travel possible!

IM on the new comp now~! i had to load the drivers onto my IDE drive through Citrus. Re assemble my old comp, activate windows, move the files from the IDE drive to the Aray disks and then put the new computer back together. Installed the drivers and here i am! CD drive was detected aswell!

Now... I wanted a fresh install to begin with. The old computer was starting to get sluggish with the extra crap i had installed. Is there a program or a way to basicly backtrack to a fresh install state without actually doing a fresh install? I think i could "upgrade" to vista but i'd like to stick in XP Land for a while if i can.

[edit]
    Luke, i had striped for performance. If its working at all, its working as an aray. I also tried the flash drive method, windows xp needs a F6floppy driver to be able to load from a flash stick (very stupid)

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Trade in your 32 bit xp for an x64 copy. Microsoft has a page somewhere on its website.

allready ordered!