Thread: Having network trouble with Vista64

Default Having network trouble with Vista64

To give an idea of how I'm set up, I have a private network in my room (Cat6 cable (not crossover, but desktop is gigabit so it does that for me) connecting my laptop and desktop together) and also wireless connections. However, the wireless connection is working perfectly but I can't get my private network working, the Vista machine is saying limited connectivity. If the DCHP fails on both computers, they use a designated IP address (the behaviour I want). However, they both do this, but neither machine can connect to each other. XP is saying it's connected.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Default Re: Having network trouble with Vista64

Are you attemping to bridge the networks? IE, use the wifi on the laptop to share internet to the desktop through the crossover cable? If so, make sure DHCP is enabled on both ethernet adaptors, and enable "internet connection sharing" on the laptop.

Also, on the Vista machine, you might need to ensure that your network type is set to either private or work, since public will prevent the vista computer from being seen by the XP computer.

Try turning off the firewalls on both to see if you can ping each other.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Are you attemping to bridge the networks? IE, use the wifi on the laptop to share internet to the desktop through the crossover cable? If so, make sure DHCP is enabled on both ethernet adaptors, and enable "internet connection sharing" on the laptop.

Also, on the Vista machine, you might need to ensure that your network type is set to either private or work, since public will prevent the vista computer from being seen by the XP computer.

Try turning off the firewalls on both to see if you can ping each other.
    I think you're miss understanding. The LAN cable is purely for file sharing, each computer has a working WLAN adapter but the LAN cable isn't working. It was working in XP. The mini network is set up as private, but it hasn't made a difference.

Are the wifi and ethernet both using IP's in the same range? That would cause some serious routing issues. Also, you may have to disable the wifi on one in order to use this.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Wifi is using IPs in 10.10.10.x
    LAN is using IPs in 192.168.0.x

You shouldn't need to disable Wifi on one. Unless Vista changes the pictures, I had it set up the way described fine with XP.

Hmm.. well you've stumped me then. I might have to try it myself if i get time.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

I found the problem... and it wasn't Vista! It was my laptop (XP), I picked up when watching my laptop screen after getting my desktop to restart. Normally my laptop says the cable is disconnected, however this time it didn't, but the good news is, when I unplugged the cable itself, it didn't show, disabled and then re-enabled the LAN connection and it said the cable was disconnected. Once I plugged the cable back in, both machines started to work flawlessly! But there you go, my Vista system is working 100% now!