Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dell needs help!

Default Dell needs help!

Alright, to sum up the story, my friend's computer is totally screwed! Being a dumb ass that he is, he got so many viruses that it messed everything up. He has no clue about computers so he asked me to help him. So, now his dell is sitting at my house... and I have been trying to fix it for monthes!

It was impossible for me to go on regular mode, pop ups, anti virus messages, and actualy animated bugs would start eating away the desktop icons :huh: . lol. So the only choice I had was going on safe mode. I had did my best to remove most of the viruses. Ran multiple anti-virus programs, non which would actualy download and protect the computer since it wouldn't let me do it in safe mode...

So with most of the viruses removed, when I go on regular mode, it still ends up freezing the whole computer. My only conclusion is that windows needs to be reinstalled again. I am thinking the viruses had corrupted most of the computer, and me trying to remove all of them did not really help!

Being the computer wiz that he is, he has no windows cd that comes with the computer..(omfg). So now im stuck trying to figure out how to reinstall windows without the cd... I tried going to dell support, but those bastards won't even talk to me since his warranty is expired.

Can anyone who knows a thing or two about computers help me out? The computer is in good shape too, it just needs to have windows reinstalled! Someones got to help this kid out I feel bad for him, he hasn't been able to use a computer for months, we all know how much it sucks not being able to use one for a couple of days.

His computer is a dell optiplex 170L.

Any help is appreciated!

Default Re: Dell needs help!

does he have any of the CDs that came with the laptop? dell system recovery disk? that might help. or... do you have a copy of windows to use for him?

his dell should have the key code on the bottom of the computer, so you can just use that code instead of the one with the CD.

if you don't, then find someone that does. otherwise, you will be buying a new copy of windows.
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules — and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.
    Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan

There also may be an image of the original drive setup on the drive itself. Hit F12 or F10 or something like that for a boot menu. One of the choices may be a disk restore.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

yeah... tru nuff. normally, i remove that crap from the Dell laptops i maintain for the sales staff at the office. but, if your buddy doesn't even know enough to be dangerous, then it may still be there.
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules — and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

the dell is a desktop. I only have an emachines reinstallition cd for windows, so it won't read that.

So are you guys saying barrow a windows cd, then use the windows serial that is on his computer instead of the one on the cd case, and it will work?

yes... so long as it's the same version of windows it should work. all winxp disks are the same... the CD key is just a series of letters and numbers that is generated by a bit of software. so... as long as the number you are using "fits" the formula of the generator, then it doesn't matter where the install comes from.

again, it's gotta be the same version of windows tho. won't work if the CD key is for Win 98 and you try to install XP.

Well ya it is windows xp, but i might have a problem in getting such a disk since i dont know anyone who actually has one. Are there any alternatives?

not unless you can get a "replacement" cd from microsoft or dell.

might cost some money tho.

other than that, prolly not.

If its the XP that came with the Optiplex, it's likely WinXP Home OEM. Anyone who has an OEM version of XP Home should be able to lend you a disk to reinstall.

Another option is to contact MS, and ask for a replacement cd. You can give them the serial key to prove it's valid, and you'll likely end up paying for shipping to get the disc.

Borrowing is definitely your best bet, but make sure its OEM, and it's the right version before you try to install it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I agree with the borrow an OEM CD. See if anyone has a Dell OS Disk. I use the same disk to redo the OS on both my Dell desktops and my Dell Laptop. If its newer see if you can get one that says on it SP2. They are label in that manner.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."