Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dell needs help!

Default Re: Dell needs help!

No it is the third. I don't think the disk is the problem, it just doesn't go to that place anymore

Ok, the cd drive needs to be the first thing in the boot order list in order for the computer to boot from the CD. I know that most PC's you can just select from a "boot menu" on startup, but I've seen that not work before, so I would just try changing the first boot device to the CD drive in the bios.

Any luck finding a Windows CD yet? I think we've deviated pretty far from the original problem, so lets' get this thread back on track.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaliy View Post
    So with most of the viruses removed, when I go on regular mode, it still ends up freezing the whole computer. My only conclusion is that windows needs to be reinstalled again. I am thinking the viruses had corrupted most of the computer, and me trying to remove all of them did not really help!
    In safe mode, try running msconfig, and disabling EVERYTHING on the startup tab, and then all the Non-Microsoft services in the services tab.

Also, check the device manager while you are in safe mode, and see if anything is conflicting/reporting errors. If so, remove that device from the device mangler and reboot.

Does it still freeze up in regular mode? Try safe mode again, and check the hard disk for errors.

Does he have multiple user accounts on his computer? If not, try creating a new user account, and logging into regular mode with the new user account. It's possible that the virus just corrupted the settings on that one user account, and/or it's trying to load something that is no longer present on his account.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    In safe mode, try running msconfig, and disabling EVERYTHING on the startup tab, and then all the Non-Microsoft services in the services tab.

Also, check the device manager while you are in safe mode, and see if anything is conflicting/reporting errors. If so, remove that device from the device mangler and reboot.

Does it still freeze up in regular mode? Try safe mode again, and check the hard disk for errors.

Does he have multiple user accounts on his computer? If not, try creating a new user account, and logging into regular mode with the new user account. It's possible that the virus just corrupted the settings on that one user account, and/or it's trying to load something that is no longer present on his account.
    I'm gonna try all those and tell you what happens in a bit. Also, i did try making a new account, but if you go on it in reg mode, it freezes because of all the things that are loading while it trys to set up.

Keep me posted on this, I'll help you solve it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Try this | Run-=> Command | Type: sfc /scannow | into the msdos prompt.
    It scans your computer for any damaged or missing windows system files.

Useful to run after a virus, adware or spyware attack has damaged core files.
    Have you OS Disk handy it will ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos View Post
    Try this | Run-=> Command | Type: sfc /scannow | into the msdos prompt.
    It scans your computer for any damaged or missing windows system files.

Useful to run after a virus, adware or spyware attack has damaged core files.
    Have you OS Disk handy as it will ask for it.
    He doesnt have an OS disk atm, which is why we were looking for one earlier. But yeah, that was the next thing I would recommend once the disk is found.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

That might work if he can boot into safe mode with a command prompt.

Sorry I havn't been able to try anything yet i had work these couple of days and I have to unplug this comp so I can use the dell. I'll post tomoro!

Edit: Alright, so I am on my other computer, while im running things on the dell. Ok, this is what I have done so far:
    Went on safe mode and ran msconfig, disabling all the things that were mentioned, and guess what, I went on the new account on reg mode, and it is running perfectly!

Then I downloaded 2 microsoft updates that popped up, had to restart it 2 times.

Tried looking at the device manager, but I am not sure what I do or how I check if everything is alright?

I am now scanning the computer with the src /scannow command, will edit to tell you what they tell me.

After that I plan on running MalwareBytes' anti-malware and see if it finds anything.
    ---
    Edit 2:

Scanned the computer by running the command, I let it scan for awhile, but when it gets to the end the scanning window closes, but nothing pops up with results? I tried this another time with the same result.

Scanned with the malware scanner, and got 1 result, hopefully it cleared it.
    ---

So what should I do now? I'm gonna try to delete some of the things that start up that I have disabled. I'm thinking I need another scan for more threats, anyone know a good virus scanner that I would be able to download? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the feedback!!

What should I do now?

Spybot is great, and free. Also, you can get the Free AVG antivirus, and that will work as a resident scanner.

With both those things, and all your windows updates, you should be back up and running.

I would also recommend backing up all the files from the regular account, then creating a new user account for your friend, and removing the old one. That will completely eliminate any traces of junk or malware that were left behind by the scanners.

Glad to see that this is up and running for you now!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/