Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making A Custom Window With Rivets

Default Making A Custom Window With Rivets

For my Unreal Tournament 2007 case mod I'm going to be starting, I wanted to cut a custom window. After I cut out the shape and all I was going to add the plexiglass behind it like every other window. In my Lian-Li case, the window is held in with rivets, and I wanted to know how to do this by myself. I know you can buy rivets, but how do you install them? I hear that you need a rivet gun. If I do, about how much are they?

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Making A Custom Window With Rivets

I think I looked up a rivet gun for like 15usd at home depot ...

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Rivet guns Run from $15-$35 us, Harbor freight (online) sells several models for $20. When riveting alum / sheet metal to plexi, make sure you don't over tighten the rivet. If you do the Plexi will crack no matter how thick it is!! If it's your first time practice on some scrap (you know the left over from the window you cut) or if the case cam pre moded pick up some sheet metal from the hardware Or use an old case. The first time I did this we tested it maybe 10 times to get it right, but when we were done we Riveted the window into the case and a Lighted fan and aluminum fan grill to the Plexi (in the middle). Remember Rivets look the best when evenly spaced (even around a curve), Plan out the placement never just put them in haphazardly Unless your going for Ghetto rig look or the case needs to look like it's had field repairs (worn look!)

Basic rules:
    1: don't over tighten
    2: drill your holes slow (if you crack the plexi even a little the rivet will make it bigger!)
    3: Take your time
    4: PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE

Good Luck,
    Crazybillybob

ATX Mental Case

You know, this may sounds stupid, but I bought a rivet gun and rivets a while ago to do the same thing, except I couldn't quite figure out how to use the damn thing. So I just used screws with some cool washers and nuts.
    ================================================== =========
    "And when you kill a man you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all and you're a God." - Megadeth

Dicky,

Just for you when I pickup a new Rivet gun I'll put a how to use it in the R2 server thread (I've got some parts that I want riveted in)...but be paticent as I'm not allowed to buy anything till christmas (my wife and family are mad because I just go buy the crap I need and then they have to take back gifts they bought for me ) But I will get it up just for You!

Crazybillybb

ATX Mental Case

ROFL! MY family does the same thing!

That sounds good. I don't anticipating having to rivet anything between now and then.

Edit:
    Or you can look on the web HGTV or DoItYourself.com or DIYNetwork which looks like the best one. But I still want to see your guide!
    Last edited by DickNervous; 11-09-2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added links...
    ================================================== =========
    "And when you kill a man you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all and you're a God." - Megadeth

ill do a rivet turorial tonight if anyone wants me to post one. Dick, i can understand why you were confused, a rivet gun just doesnt seem like it should work, its weird.

The DIY one is good, but if you put a little back into it and you've got a decent rivet gun, you can mount wood to metal using a manual ones. You don't have to have air powered it's just easier and quicker!

Crazybillybob

Hey Emochild626, that would be great if you could post a tutorial. I agree with Dicknervous, they don't seem like they would work.

If you rivet from metal to plexie you need to use washers on the end of the rivets. This will spread out the stress onto the plexie and help prevent cracks. I can make a how-to on this as well if it is really needed. I got TONs of rivets well not tons, more like 10lbs or so.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.