Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Rockin Case

Default Re: Project: Rockin Case

Yeah, even if it is an ECS 'board, $45 shipped is a hell of a deal for an nForce2 mobo, CPU (that one a Barton or Thoroughbred core?), RAM, and video card (what model of GeForce?). I'd've jumped on it too. That board supports 200 MHz FSB - no multiplier or voltage adjustments though so I doubt you'll get near there. If it's a Barton core (512k L2) you've got a good shot at a bit over 2 GHz, though, no problem - say, 11.5x175 or so. Don't go too far, though, as the idiots soldered the damn BIOS chip down! Shades of their past, perhaps?

Don't mind me - I'm a Socket A geek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I dont know the exact details on the whole setup as of right now, but it should be here tues or wed and hopefully I can find out more then. I wont need to overclock, like I said, it's not going to be a high-end gaming rig, more of a office-use type rig, but I'm sure I'll have to tweak it somehow

got the parts in today, quicker than I thought!

The VGA is a PNY GeForce FX5200 DDR 128MB, CPU is Athlon XP, not sure which model, although on the CPU itself it says "AXDA2500DKV4D" Not sure which one that is. Memory consists of 1x512MB Bravo DDR-333 and 1x1024MB pqi DDR-333. All in all not a bad steal for $45

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

It's a Barton. Nice steal there!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Hell, even a Barton 2500+... Too bad that RAM isn't PC3200 (DDR400) else there's a good shot at it running at 3200+ speeds. Stock here is 1.83; if you do OC it, it'll probably be more memory-dependent (my Bravo "DDR-400" turned out to be more like "DDR-366").

The 5200's good for officework and older games, and is more than likely dual output, eh? Good show. I reckon it'll be a good little system.

If you have any further questions about it, the folks over at ClassicPlatforms (formerly SocketAPlus) will be able to help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

awesome, thanks a ton for all the info! +rep

The 5200 is dual output, VGA and S-Video. Now just gotta finish building this crate to ship my old street bike engine and I can get to work on some carbon

::UPDATE::

Got some cash for some goodies I sold, so this project is back on track! Placed my order Saturday with delvies plastics, got all the acrylic I need and then some (for screwing-up lol). I've been reading up on the web about working with acrylic, so I'm going to have a go at it.

I've got most of the components for the PC itself, just need a PSU, a few cables, and keyboard/mouse, monitor. I found a 3.5" floppy drive with built-in media card reader in it. I decided to keep a 3.5" due to her using it as a writng machine mostly. I have my old 40GB WD HDD out of my old rig that will work perfectly in this one.

I'm planning on starting on the carbon fiber work for the backplate tonight, I'll post more pics then

Will

Ok, got the first stage of the carbon backplate done today. I made the fiance help (its gong to be her rig after all) and we busted it out pretty quickly. I didnt have enough carbon to do 3 layers for strength, but I had enough for 2 and enough fiberglass for the middle layer, so it worked out well. It was all perfectly sized to give an extra 2-3" on each side from the drawnig I made up, which took demensions from her Guild acoustic guitar (the inspiration for this mod).

It doesnt looks great yet, but once it hardens we'll give it a thorough wet sanding on both sides, followed by another coat of resin then more wet sanding until the finish is perfect. So thats anough jibber jabber for now, on to the pics!!!

The goodies - Bondo resin, latex gloves, 99 cent walmart paintbrushes, a rag and cleaner to clean the plexi prior to applying the resin

Dry run with the fiberglass on top of the first layer of carbon

carbon and fiberglass next to each other

and skip ahead a few steps (had to work fast, resin only stays liquid so long lol) all layers together, smoothed as best I could before it got too stiff to work with

and a few close-ups

Like I said, finish looks like sh*t right now, but once its wet sanded and resined and wet sanded again it'll look much better

ok another quick update...now that its dried enough to remove from the plexi, I found that 3 layers is not enough, its still flimsy. I'm going to pick up some more fiberglass and carbon and do at least 1 more layer of each, then we'll try again

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

kool i didnt know it was the simple nice work
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!