Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Rockin Case

Default Re: Project: Rockin Case

dude this will be one good loking case, keep up the good work.
    Which pattern of the carbon fiber did you use?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    kool i didnt know it was the simple nice work
    yea carbon and fiberglass work is pretty simple, just lay it out ahead of time, cut your pices to size (if doing detail work), mix the resin properly, and use the little $0.97 walmart paintbrushes, and WORK SLOWLY, but not so slow that the resin starts to harden before you're done lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    dude this will be one good loking case, keep up the good work.
    Which pattern of the carbon fiber did you use?
    its standard 2x2 twill weave that I got off ebay

picked up some more carbon and fiberglass, going to do up 2 more layers of glass and 1 more carbon, hopefully get that done tonight, that should be stiff enough

ok did some more work tonight, added 2 more layers of glass and 1 more carbon, this should be plenty stiff enough

Ok kiddies...this is todays resin mixing lesson! Always use less hardener than you think you need...otherwise you get 4 mns and you get this :

and since I already had it poured on but not spread, I had to do the best I could with what I had...still could have come out much worse

Looks like a $75 sheet of peanut brittle. Luckily this is saveable. I'm going to let it cure for a few days, then break out a 2x4 and the 120 grit and go to town. I'm going to sand right through the carbon everywhere theres a bump, so needless to say I'm going to need another sheet. This last 24"x50" sheet cost me $33 with shipping.
    So I'll sand her down this weekend, and once I get another slab of carbon I'll do a final layer to pretty it up and noone will ever know...except me...and all you guys
    I pulled it off, its hardened anough already, and its definitely much stiffer. If it wasnt for the bumps it'd be time to trim, but such is life.
    On the other hand, I got a UPS confirmation today, my acrylic will be here on Aug 6th! 22lbs of goodness from www.delviesplastics.com

Stay tuned

sad to hear that about CF.
    But i'm sure you'll figure the way out

yea, an extra sheet of carbon and another quart of resin and some elbow grease and she'll be good to go

got the acrylic in yesterday, will post some pics tonight

now...anyone know where I can get a cheap sabersaw?

alright, carbon is completely sanded, awaiting funds for another sheet of 2x2 twill and another quart of resin.

in other news, got the guitar shape traced to the plexi, now just laying out the ocmponents and tracing to find the best fit for everything. I have a lot less room than I had expected, but thats life.

anyone ever had any problems with extending wires from the PSU? I'm thinking I'll put the PSU into the "amp" box to save room in the case itself. this will also help keep the heat down. but I'm goign to need to extend the PSU wires by at least 1-2 feet. I'm good with soldering and such, so thats not an issue, just wondering if it'll push the current that far.

I was originally going to get a modular PSU to keep it clean, but I may just get a regular one now that it's going to be in its own case. Will post pics/more info as things happen

Depending on the power requirements, check out some of the mini supplies available from www.mini-itx.com Ultra small 120w power supplies are available, as are some other sizes.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

thanks for that link, they've got some incredible stuff! I emailed them but still havent heard from them yet.

this project will be back on track shortly, working 2 jobs now so free time is limited unfortunately.

On the plus side I had to do some diagnostic work on a friends computer and got to test the mobo/cpu/vga/memory I picked up for my project and all work flawlessly

stay tuned, hopefully another update soon

Will