Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Rockin Case

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Rockin Case

I like the window in the base idea, but I think it may get wall-mounted, so it wouldnt make sense. If it was sitting on a guitar stand like I originally planned however, it'd serve as some neat glow effects on the surrounding area +rep for the idea

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Stay tuned
    ha ha, I got it. Guitar...tuned... lol
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0

no pun intended (funny it worked out like that, hadnt noticed it till ya brought it up lol?

Will

Default Update!!!

sorry for the lack of regular updates, got a new family member who's been taking up some free time

Her name is Mel, she's an 18-month old lab/pit bull mix. Shes full grown, only approx 40lbs. She's got the best personality I've ever seen in a dog like her. She'll jump on your lap and lick your face, jump on the couch next to you and watch tv, and she's very good with strangers and strange animals. She's amazing. The wife found her on Craigslist, a woman had 4 dogs and the place she was moving to would only let her have 3, and no pit bull anything, so by default this adorable girl had to go. Best of all she was free!

well onto the imprtant stuff

ok so as you know, last time I left off I had this:

a peanut-brittle-like sheet of carbon and fiberglass, thanks to too much hardener

well after a LOT of sanding and a fresh coat of resin, we have this:

much better looks bumpy still, but its just the carbon reflecting the light.

anyhow, I got another roll of carbon finally and proceeded to cut and lay it:

I wanted to put full concentration into this so I decided to work rather than stop to take pics. It came out great, just needs a final coat of resin and some wet sanding, then to cut it out!

Heres the template I made on cardboard that will be the size/shape of the carbon backplate:

thats it for now, should get the resin all done by this weekend and hopefully get it cut out soon thereafter

on to another part of the mod: the "strings"

I got a 10-pack of acrylic rods to use as "strings" for the guitar, and I'm planning on lighting them at either end with LEDs for HDD, power, CD, etc. Well a shiny polished rod does nothing to reflect light outwards, so I took a piece of scotchbrite to it, scuffed it good. Here you can see the difference. I'm holding it to the power LED on my computer

You can see where I stopped sanding it

and with the lights off:

this should work out nicely. I'm going to experiment with different grits of sandpaper as well to see what kind of effects they give, and what will work/look best.

thats it for now, hopefully more updates soon, but for now, I leave you with some more angles of my render

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

very cool... nice work
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Live Long and Modify ContraptionMaker's Avatar

Congrats on the new family member! Your project is looking really cool man! I like the lighted strings idea. Not sure if it work any better, but you might try some clear UV paint on the strings and some UV LED's. One at each end might light the whole string. Just a thought The carbon work really surpirsed me! I thought that stuff had to have about 30 tons of pressure on it +rep for that!
    I Build, Therefor I Am!
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ine=1224642592
    Live today because tomorrow may never come!

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    very cool... nice work
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ContraptionMaker View Post
    Congrats on the new family member! Your project is looking really cool man! I like the lighted strings idea. Not sure if it work any better, but you might try some clear UV paint on the strings and some UV LED's. One at each end might light the whole string. Just a thought The carbon work really surpirsed me! I thought that stuff had to have about 30 tons of pressure on it +rep for that!
    thanks

I like the idea of the clear UV paint...I was indeed worried about the LED light traveling the distance of the rod without looking dark in the middle. I'll do up a complete rod, and throw an LED @ each end and see how it turns out.

I should have the carbon done today and cut out tomorrow. If you're making structural parts like supports or the like, then the pressure is a must to get a nice tight layering.

Hand-laying is how most fiberglass parts are made, car bodywork and the like. You can use carbon for cosmetic and light structural duty in the same way.

My friend tought me how to work with it, he hand-made this pipe for his jet ski out of carbon fiber and carbon/kevlar

small update, got a coat of resin on it, looks much better will sand it tomorrow, and depending on how much sanding I have to do I'll either put one more coat of resin or just cut it out and clear coat it.

mmmm tasty

more to come tomorrow night

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

I think this is a great idea good luck

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

un leash that dog!!! lol

nice work look flatter now
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!