Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Rockin Case

Default Re: Project: Rockin Case

How are you gonna place it when it's done? I suggest a proper guitar rack or wall mounted It seems a shame to just leave it lying on the desk.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_Scope_99 View Post
    I think this is a great idea good luck
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    un leash that dog!!! lol

nice work look flatter now
    we had her off, then the neighbor brought their dogs out so we had to tire her up so she wouldnt take off lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cymae View Post
    How are you gonna place it when it's done? I suggest a proper guitar rack or wall mounted It seems a shame to just leave it lying on the desk.
    my first thought was to have it sit on a guitar stand next to the desk, but I have also been toying with the idea of wall mounting as well. I'm going to wait until its done and we figure out where exactly its going to go to mount it

small update, carbon is 90% done

after a good sanding from yesterdays 2 fresh coats of resin:

and after the dust is wiped off - you can see where it needs more sanding:

so after another round of sanding you can see the dark (unsanded) spots getting smaller

at this point I was scared about going through and sanding into the carbon, so I did up another batch of resin. I used a different method this time that I guy I know in teh carbon industry told me to do. He said to mix up the resin, then pour it into the center of the peice like so:

then cover with thick plastic sheet (like the kind used in gardens for water control) like so:

and use a hard squegee to push the resin outwards from the center like so:

this didnt work out like he showed, my plastic started to curl and wrinkle for some odd reason, so I peeled it off before it start to set up to the point where I'd ruin it, and just brushed the rest on like normal:

then while it was setting up I went and did laudry, mowed the lawn, walked the dog, etc. then I came back and I trimmed the ratty edges off with my trusty die grinder

heres the cardboard template with the mobo on it, for sizing

a look at the size of the baseplate, theres plenty of carbon left for other goodies, like the pickguard, and possibly a part or 2 for my computer

I then went to town with the sander again (its now dark as you can see):

its now almost perfectly flat, but also almost into the carbon. I could do up another layer of resin, but I dont feel like sanding anymore I got some nice triple-thick clearcoat spary paint at walmart that I'm going to use, so between wet sanding and that it'll be perfect.

this is the original side, first sheet of carbon (the sheet that was laid directly onto the plexi) and came out the best. a nice wet sanding and the clear coat will have this side perfect.

thats it for now, I'm holding off wet sanding and clearcoating until I get it cut out, which hopefully I can do on my luch break tomorrow

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

rofl i was like why did he take his sander to town... lol

nice looks better now alot better
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

ok so I wont be able to cut it out on my lunch, but a guy I work with is letting me borrow his dremel (mines broken) and he's got the router-style attatchment and the side cutter bit, so I should be able to cut it out tonight after work

ok so it cut out!

here it is in the garage, its was cold and rainy tonight, so I decided to work in there

I borrowed a dremel as mines broken, and used his side-cutting bit

I used an arctic cat track marker to outline on the carbon, its usually used to mark snowmobile tracks for drilling to install studs

and heres the outline

and its cut

Heres the other side, looks damn good :smokin:

and the extra, now to figure out what to make from it, maybe coasters or somethin

and with the mobo sitting on it

looks good methinks. the edges are rough as hell, I'll hopefully get to hit it with the belt sander tomorrow and clean it up nice

good work man... very cool...

i need to hit up bunnings and look at the dremel stuff...

think tb4o is coming to not sure....
    you tease!

minor update

got my free sample hardware from RAF Electronics. 1 Aluminum handle, dont know what I'm going to use it for yet but I'll find somethin. 5 brass standoffs, 5 aluminum standoffs, 5 aluminum thumb screws and 5 stainless thumbscrews. I would have liked all matching hardware, but the max qty for a sample order is 5, so I made it work

hmmm whaddaya know...10 standoffs and thumbscrews...and 10 mounting holes in the mobo! what a coincidence! Ok not really, had this in mind all along

as soon as I can find some proper-sized belts for my tabletop belt sander I'll have the carbon's shape finished, then I can wet sand/clearcoat it and it'll be done.

You got to wall mount that thing mannnnnnnn with some CCFL behind it. That'll be awesome!

nice... free... even better
    you tease!