Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Rockin Case

More More than Human masbuskado's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Rockin Case

Looking Great so far...
    but one thing come to my mind... and I know the fun part is to build...!!!
    why you didn't use a real guitar and then cover it with the fiberglass or cabor fiber...

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

well thats just no fun, plus I'd have to hack up a perfectly good guitar lol. I'm workin on it slowly, bit by bit, once I get a good update ready I'll post up

interesting concept hope you finish soon

thanks man, this projects going to be on hold for now, as I need $$ to finish it, and the wife and I are trying to get our bills payed off. our tax returns will take care of all our credit cards, then my truck will be paid off this summer, then all that will be left is my jet ski and her car. Once my trucks paid off I should be able to get back workin on this one again. Maybe small progress between now and then too we'll see. I'm workin on Monster though, because its a 90% free project, just my time.

ok I'm back on this one again!

with Christmas coming and cash flow tight right now, we decided to do home-made gifts for Christmas. Well I know what I'm doing....I'm going to finish this for her! I'm also trying to finish Monster for Christmas for my brother as well, but we'll see what happens.

Ok spent a couple hours after work tonight workin on it. I got my plexi and traced the shape of the carbon guitar with a pen, then cut it with my dremel and rotary bit.

then I clamped them together and hit the belt sander

and after a few mins we've got two matching pieces

and a few pics of the rough layout for the components. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to use the CD drive. If I dont it saves a lot of space and some weight. Its not a huge deal, she's got a 250GB WD Passport, so she can always put stuff on that and burn them on my computer

and a shot w/o the CD drive. The HDD will be on a holder or rack of some sort for airflow and cooling. anyone know if you can trim the unused part of an IDE cable off?

I wouldnt see why not...

another update! forgot the camera, so you'll have to deal with cell phone pics lol

another shot with the components layed out

holes drilled for mobo, mobo temporarily mounted here:

holes drilled and mounts set up for HDD

main neck piece cut out

and the part for the "string" mount

I didnt get any pics of that part finished unfortunately.

now, on the neck, I've set up the measurements for the head and base mounts, and figured I have a 1" x 13.5" strip to cut some kind of decoration out of each side of the neck. now to do up some drawings and figure it out!

ok so I ordered up this kit from ebay that will light up the "strings" with RGB LEDs with selectable patterns. should look awesome

hopefully I can work on it some more this weekend. I gotta find time when the wife's not home

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Yup, that'll definitely do it - I see some serious re-soldering in your future tho with only 3.5" of wire between each unit - that'll be way too much for half of them, and nowhere near enough for the stretch to the top of the bars. While you're at work with the soldering iron, why not remove that microswitch and replace it with a regular PTM switch accessible from the outside of the case - that way you can change the pattern without opening up the case

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

well it comes as a kit, so I dont need to put that switch in to begin with

I like the idea on a remote switch though thanks!

anywho, small update.

I cut a small square out of the red plexi then cut in half to make two triangles. I then marked out a pattern on one side.

I then proceeded to sand away the profile

and the rough shape is done

mmm dusty lol

and another shot of the basic shape

and after some sandinge with 600 grit paper, there seems to be some high spots

so I hit it with a flexible sanding disc on the dremel. much better.

after I got it mostly smooth with the sand paper I put a buffing wheel on the dremel and used plastic polish in conjunction with the buffing wheel to shine it up

and these will be mounted on the neck as shown here, they will be the "supports" for the neck