Thread: greetings, 1st attempt at modding

Fresh Paint

Default greetings, 1st attempt at modding

hello to all you modders. ive been quietly reading for some time and think im ready to make my first mod.

im taking an old stereo console(circa 1960's i believe) and will gut out the old components and install spare/old computer parts and make this a music server/digital jukebox.

the idea is to have a system that retains the classic look, retain the ability to play records/vinyl, but add in the modern conveniences a computer provides.

heres what im starting with:

as stated ill be gutting everything but the turntable. but heres my first option. shell out the bucks for a new usb turntable and mod that into it, or gut an old stereo reciever(pioneer vsx-d1s) to use as an amp. either way ill have it conected into a sound card.

i would also like to install a monitor on the left side of the console, and with the use of some sort of hinge be able to lift / rotate the monitor up for navigating music files.

the center area in the top view is where the volume, tone and balance are located. id like the relace that, and put in a trackball , mounted from underneath, along with possible a arcade style button, for mouse functions.

heres a beginning plan i drew in sketch up (still learning).

any feed back would be very welcome as all the work i see here is spectacular.

Default Re: greetings, 1st attempt at modding

HOLY CRAP! My folks had that exact model stereo years back and I used it for much of my childhood to play my vast record collection (of about 15 LP's). That brings back some memories. Welcome to the forums and I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Jon

EDIT: Also, if this is to be your project worklog let me know and I can move it over to "works in progress" for you at any time.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Welcome to TBCS. Excellent idea, and what a great cabinet to start with! It looks great and it's got lots of room. Personally, I would keep the original turntable and go with the amp if it's in good shape, but to each their own.

As for your monitor, see no reason you couldn't build a frame of sorts for an LCD monitor to hang on the underside of the top left portion of the cabinet, maybe run the cords out holes inside the frame and down the back of the cabinet. Wouldn't a touch-screen be a cool addition?

Anyway, you've got a great foundation for a great mod here, be looking forward to seeing the progress.
    ________
    Honda Super Cub history
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Personally, I would keep the original turntable and go with the amp if it's in good shape, but to each their own.
    im starting to move away from the idea of using an amp. wouldnt that create extra heat inside the console? And although everything would be contained inside and out of sight, it seems weird to have a stereo amp just sitting inside .

ive gutted everything out now, and put in a base, as the bottom was hollow.
    but thinking ahead im wondering about speaker set up. ill be using a Creative Soundblaster Live card, so should i go with some computer speakers, like a nice Logitech system , or having the mount already in the console for traditional style(sorry, dont know if there is a term for them) speakers could i use something out of a home stereo system or use car speakers?

Since this is my first attempt at any modding, money is a concern. and audio knowledge is defineately down the totem pole in my fields of expertise.

hopefully by the end of the weekend ill have the computer components installed and post up some pictures.

st.Lewis=New hero! +Rep and Subscribe

For the amp, how about a pre-amp to take the existing phongraph signal into your sound card?

http://www.amazon.com/ART-DJPre-II-Phono-Preamp/dp/B000AJR482\

I've not used it but it gets good reviews on Amazon

On the motherboard placement, consider mounting it vertically or add a pullout in the back to allow switching hardware and wiring connections. Reaching down in the case to screw on a connector will get old after awhile

For the knobs, phidgets makes a usb encoder that can be used to control volume or other inputs. They also make a joystick control but I believe it's a digital input to their input board instead of usb. You may also want to pick up a used powermate.

For on off power, I'm playing with a modified "break before make" rotary switch. If you can find a "make before break" rotary switch it'd be ideal. Check out my worklog later this week, I'll update it on what I'm up to.

On the monitor, one idea would be to have it pop up like one the big screen tv cabinets although I've always been a fan of humanscale.com stuff.

If you're looking to use the speaker grill for ventilation, you could put perforated metal in place of the cloth. mcmaster.com has a selection of steel, aluminum, and brass.

I think it's begging for a glass top to the enclosure. One side would not open, and have the flat screen directly under it. The half over the record player would be hinged. See if you can get the glass half silvered (one way mirror) or smoked. When the console is off, you won't see anything below the glass. When turned on, the monitor would be clearly visible through it, and the record player can be illuminated with LEDs to make it visible through the glass.

As for ventilation, that's pretty easy. In at the bottom through some filter material, out the back near the top.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    I think it's begging for a glass top to the enclosure. One side would not open, and have the flat screen directly under it. The half over the record player would be hinged. See if you can get the glass half silvered (one way mirror) or smoked. When the console is off, you won't see anything below the glass. When turned on, the monitor would be clearly visible through it, and the record player can be illuminated with LEDs to make it visible through the glass.

As for ventilation, that's pretty easy. In at the bottom through some filter material, out the back near the top.
    nice? necro haha pretty sure this thread is dead

But.... but.... but.... darn it. Actually, the dude was on last night so went looking at his posts. *bangs head on desk*

Maybe he'll resurrect the project.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    But.... but.... but.... darn it. Actually, the dude was on last night so went looking at his posts. *bangs head on desk*

Maybe he'll resurrect the project.
    That would be an epic ressurection then