Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking A Power Supply

Banned

Default Picking A Power Supply

Well I'm up for picking a power supply for my new machine. I'm thinking of something in the 700-800W range.

I plan to run a mobo, GFX card, water cooling system, 4 or more hard drives, two or so optical drives, a floppy drive, lights, and a few other doodads. Will a 800W PSU be able to support all that?

Also are modular PSUs really worth the extra cash?

Default Re: Picking A Power Supply

800watts would do all that and then some. If your going to be running a lot components, i'd sugjest an 80% certified PSU so help keep your electric bill down.

I would say modular PSU's are well worth the extra cash only if your going to be showing off the computer with a window or whatnot and want a neat and tidy apperance. For a beige box computer i would say no. You could allways tuck the unused cables in an empty drive bay.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I second J-Roc's advice on the modular PSU. I bought a PSU recently, and though I love it and it has all the power and connections I need, the cables are a major irritant. If you plan to show off the inside of the box (as I did but now can't), buy modular. If not, don't worry about it. And do the research, large wattage is not the bottom line.
    ________
    FREE WORDPRESS THEMES
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    800watts would do all that and then some. If your going to be running a lot components, i'd sugjest an 80% certified PSU so help keep your electric bill down.

I would say modular PSU's are well worth the extra cash only if your going to be showing off the computer with a window or whatnot and want a neat and tidy apperance. For a beige box computer i would say no. You could allways tuck the unused cables in an empty drive bay.
    Well we all love low electrical bills. My case will have a window but I think a modular would be better because the top blow hole sits not too far in front of the PSU spot...I could just make a little drawer to keep the other cables in.

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack
    And do the research, large wattage is not the bottom line.
    True dat. I picked the 700-800 range as a guess cause I'm not all that up with newer power requirements for devices, and figured because the ye-olde one I have runs two optical drives, two HDD, a GeForce 6400 and a floppy needs 600W. So I knocked it up a notch.

But what does make the "bottom line" besides available output wattage? In your opinion what are some good PSU makers? I've heard Rosewill is decent.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot59 View Post

But what does make the "bottom line" besides available output wattage?
    Amperage is the big one, a large total-watt output isn't going to help if it won't provide the current your hardware needs. Number of 12-volt rails is also important, but I've seen newer PSUs with a single rail carrying 90 amps.

Here is a good calculator for figuring what you need. Don't remember if this one will calculate total amperage needed but if not there are others that will.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=6454
    ________
    Dodge omni
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Banned

I put a bunch of stuff in and it recommended 705W. So I'll just add up the specs once I finalize parts and crunch it then.

I have just ordered this ;

http://www.tagan.com/index.php?c_id=...2&p_cata_id=65

Got it from microdirect,£114. with delivery.

It was one of two that i liked recommended to me after my old PSU died.

I have only heard good things about them.
    Enermax,Coolermaster,Corsair,Antec Seasonic are some others that were also recommended.

hope it helps

yours wecrookie

Banned

I actually browsed NewEgg before you posted and that Tagan PSU is on my semi-final list.
    LINK
    But meeting the specifications I listed those brands didn't appear on the Newegg site. Other semi-final brands are ThermalTake, Gigabyte, Xigmatek, and Apevia. I didn't see any Enermax, but 1 Cooler Master, and 1 Antec PSU also made the list.

I am Jack's smirking revenge. 985323's Avatar

id say use this one, cant go wrong with corsair http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...609&CatId=2533
    Will

i second, third and forth the corsair one, what ever you choose don't skimp out on the psu.

btw what did you choose to get 700 watts from the psu calc... my current system in rig, with 16 fans runs 550 a little bit higher.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v