Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Akula

Mad Thermal Scientist DocNitrous's Avatar

Default Project: Akula

Here is my new worklog about my actual project.

This project consist of modding my actual everyday computer case as i implement my water cooling in it.

For the last month ive been thinking about ideas to mod my Shark case, but i never found "the idea" im looking for. I did have a few neat tweak that come in my mind but nothing that make a real project.

But lately my friend upgraded his computer and being the builder i inherited some "old parts" to form a complete decent water cooling system.

This was enough to motivate me to think about a complete makeover of my case.

Obviously the main theme has to stay around "sharks". I named my computer Akula when i upgraded it last fall. The name come from the russian atomic class submarine ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akula_class_submarine ) . Akula meaning Shark in russian.

I still have a big blank section in my external modding plan of this case. I count on you to help me on this. By sharing my project and what i want to do and have done, you will certainly come with good addition that will make this project complete.

So enough of the story lets get started.

The Goal : Extreme cooling with total silence in a menacing predator looking case.

The Case : Thermaltake SHARK in Black.

The System : scroll up and click on "my system"

Whats done : the system is working, air cooled by a TT big Typhoon VX HSF, in a stock case. Complete cables management.

Part I : gathering the Water cooling parts.

My friend just upgraded his complete system, including most of his stock watercooling set up ( he own a TT tai chi with watercooling option) I wont tell you much about his set-up now because i plan on showing you when its completed (totally...) all i can say its "the everybody's dream" set-up. So he upgraded and i inherited parts...

One TT CPU Waterblock

Two Zalmann 8800 GTS GPU Waterblock

His stock TT waterpump

What i already have :

One TT VGA all copper waterblock (will try use it for northbridge cooling)

One All copper 1/4 ID 4 row radiator

Its getting late now, im going to bed.

i'll be back tommorow with pics and the others details of the project.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 11-08-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project : Akula

If you are cooling your CPU and 2 GPUs then you will need at least a single 120mm radiator and a 240mm radiator.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Your rigth...

here they are!!

My computer as it was yesterday night.. (dont remind me to clan the dust i did it today...)

Is that your radiator under your CPU block??? That is tiny lol. I strongly recommend getting another one.

yes its a radiator and i doubt im gonna use it in this setup but still its a gathered parts for water cooling so its in the log...

I think im gonna go for the same kind of water cooling setup i was planning to use in X3O2.

1/4 copper pipes.

I dont know why but im attracted to copper pipe.

In addition im really confident in the heat dissipating advantage of using copper for pipes rather than "plastic". I do already have the pipe and the fittings.

I want to take the heat out of the cases and ""externalize" the water cooling. The idea i came up with use a big reservoir and a small radiator (yes the tiny one, The boy 4rm oz). Along with running the pipe out of the case, in the back, it should dissipate enough heat.. The concept is to transfer the heat to the case too with the bracket. and in the reservoir.

The case already have holes to pop out to rout water cooling pipe out of it, i told myself lets do something with it..

the reservoir would be up in the front of the case.

This way allow me to add an external huge radiator in another case in the eventuality my predictions are wrong....

as soon my kids go to bed, later, ill start planning this more carefully and ill show up with more sketches....

im still not fixed about the water tank. But i guess i will be doing one out of brass or copper sheet, unless i find something better since then...

Edit:

here are the video card with zalmann water block on...

I like the idea of transferring the heat to the case, only downside is it will heat the whole case lol. Zalman make a case that comes with custom heatpipe attachments for everything in the case, the entire case acts as a radiator, much like your idea.
    Check it out:
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/...ad.asp?Idx=116

yeah that is really a nice case!! I already knew of it and its particular price tag...

But definitly coolling engineering at is best.

The idea behind my set up is a bit the same, but not at the same level.

I will isolate the panel with a special foam i use in high end car audio. It will dampen the panel, reducing the noise level and vibration a lot and will serve as insulation between the outside panel and the inside. (its called Tac Mat from Dynamat)

http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_tac_mat.html

My panel are always cool as well as my inside frame, from normal air circulation. My computer room is in the basement so i benefit from a fresh environnment from the start. As an example, my core is actually at 24 Celsius, and usually go around 19-21 degrees idle. im overclocked to 3.446 Ghz. With my thermaltake big Typhoon VX HSF at low speeds...

If my environement was not as forgiving i would probably wont go for that kind of cooling, but rather go for an external radiator mounted in a side case.

Im thinking about incorporating my watercooled PSU in this one rather than in my wife X3O2 (the original purpose of it is now out of actuality, we upgraded the power supply in his computer so an AUX PSU is not necessary anymore.) Powering independently my lighting, pump, fans and the remote start. The only downside, it take up a 5.25 bay, thus less space for the water tank and pump.

The clamp (copper, same as on my AUX PSU) holding the pipe will be "thermal pasted" with the pipes and "thermal glued" to the case and bolted.

Watercooling the chipset will really be a difficult challenge, his location dont leave any space for a water block.