Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water-cooling a mATX

Suffering from Multiple OS Disorder PartyLikeARockstar's Avatar

Default water-cooling a mATX

The case:

I've seen this done quite a few times. The Rockstar case mod is on hold, since I have a wedding and a PC store to run. We're looking at releasing a flagship mATX box with either a 9800 or a 4850 in it, and my partner has asked that I watercool it too.

I have laying around only a 2x120mm rad, and I know this case (http://www.bgears.com/b-envi.html the bgears b-envi) is the one she wants. but the internal layout is wierd. Anyone got any ideas on placement of the rad? it's gonna be a tougie!

i'm all ears for ideas guys! right now i am thinking that the case needs to look as stock as possible in front.got lots of room on the HDD side if i turn the rad sideways. won't fit in front or on bottom i dont think. any ideas on how i could get it top-mounted, maybe half-externally?

Default Re: water-cooling a mATX

You definitely have a tough one on your hands. I honestly dont see anywhere to put it on top without blocking the power supply's airflow That is definitely a tough case to work with. I dont know how feasible it is but what about the side opposite of the window. It may block access to one of your pci slots but its the only thing I can see
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

If you only have a 2x120mm rad then yes, it's definitely going to be a trick to mount it.

With the removable tray, you could just extend your water lines a bit, and then mount the rad onto some standoff's on the top of the case, in a sort of semi-external configuration, sort of like this.

Just run the water lines out through one of the PCI slots on the mobo tray. That will allow you to still use all the internal space, and even have that rear mounted 120mm fan still working.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

what im thinking is a semi-external; or maybe internal somehow? cutting may be needed. can't mess up that sexy front panel.oh, and the apogee drive had a barb break off . waiting on michelle from Swiftech to hook me up with an RMA. I bought an A.C. Ryan Radgrill for wherever the hell this thing fits. anyone nice enough to offer a sketchup? my art skills are inferior to those of a 4 year old.

WooT! Michelle is processing it for me already pending the invoice from MicroCenter! That was less than 24 hours response time! Hopefully this will go nice and smooth.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PartyLikeARockstar View Post
    anyone nice enough to offer a sketchup? my art skills are inferior to those of a 4 year old.
    I can see if my 4 year old sister is willing to help. First, I would have to get sketchup for her to use, though.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I can see if my 4 year old sister is willing to help. First, I would have to get sketchup for her to use, though.
    We have a taker, folks! That's the modding spirit...seriously, I have to learn to draw. Bad. I'm going to take a shot at this tonight, I think that I have it figured out. My dremel is getting hot for it: some aluminum cutting action!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I'm somewhat decent in working with CAD, and my sister isn't willing to help. I might be able to come up with something.

AAARRGHHH! Sketchup doesn't work natively in Linux!

UPDATE! The case will ***INTERNALLY*** house the res! I can grab a 3.5" adapter for my HDD and mount it in the extra optical drive bay! Then, i plan to slice part of the original HDD bay mount, but bolt the rad to the supports, with aluminum angle for support. It can be modded!

Re-update: no go! external mount only for this one. let me try to gracefully fit my foot in mouth, Christine.