Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: painting a case

Rankenphile

Default Re: painting a case

Sawblade - Mellow out, please. It's not like we don't already have a dozen threads on painting cases. Keeping them consolidated makes it easier to find info in one place, rather than having to search the entire forum.

Viper - Don't start arguing, please. If someone asks you to make a new thread instead of posting new questions in one they started, there's no reason to argue over it.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

To help answer a few questions posted here (and to help calim the climte)

Saw:
    Wet sanding a coat of clear coat will leave it hazy, if you want it to be nice but not overly shiny you can hit with a light coat of clear just to take away the haze. If you want it super smooth and shine (like a show car) You want to lay down the clear 2 coats, wet sand, 2 clear coats, wet sand, then use some buffing compound on it, follow it up with a bit of hand glaze (it should be smooth and shiny). Now wait for 30-45 days then use some car wax (turtle, mothers, blue coral, etc) this will help protect that shiny finish.

Viper,
    The airbrush works great for detail work and highlights. But if you have a larger case most airbrushes don't have the output or pain capacity to be good at laying down base coats. For that you want to use spray cans or a HVLP (High volume low pressure) Sprayer (the big silver air sprayer) like that used in a body shop.

Everyone: Quick reminders:
    Spray paint can don't put layers on as thick as a pro sprayer, nor are the paints as strong. Because of this you need to put down more coats.
    Clear coats follow these rules too., So If you know you need 2 coats of pro clear a good rule of thumb is you need 4 coats of spray can clear.

I use Spray cans for everything (I don't have an air compressor up here in the great white north.....Yet) and the clear coat when applied correctly is tough, and protects your paint (no matter if it's spray can, airbrush, or pro spray) very well.

Good Luck to all,

Crazybillybob

PS: Can't we all get along?

Anodized

EDIT: Post removed. don't want to make a scene anymore. I guess i will find my answer elsewhere.

Viper,

Go ahead and ask your Q. That's what we're here for, to help. As long as it is related to painting it's all good.

Crazybillybob.

Anodized

u answered it before. just what i post was telling saw that i have had experience in many of forums and the rules are all basically the same thread/post wise. that's all.

Glad to know that some of the stuff I post helps out!

Crazybillybob