Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn a PC into a TV?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Turn a PC into a TV?

Whats the best way to turn your computer (in this case a laptop) into basically a TV? Its for my parents. They just got rid of their television service provider and today I showed them how to hook up a laptop to the TV and watch Hulu. But I think its too much of a hassle for them, especially since there isn't a remote control, they have to get up and use it like a computer.

Any suggestions? This is an area that I don't know anything about at all. I watch Hulu on my computer, thats it, thats my TV. But for them, they're very much used to an actual TV and they still watch the "over-the-air" channels, like 2, 4 and 6 or whatever. Anything out there to give them a similar experience?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Turn a PC into a TV?

There are USB tv tuners that should work on the laptop (see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...M%20%2f%20NTSC ).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    There are USB tv tuners that should work on the laptop (see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...M%20%2f%20NTSC ).
    I think he means using the internet to get the programming, but I could be wrong.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I own this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116031

The USB TV tuners require a fast processor. My laptop is an old Dell Inspiron 1200 with a Celeron processor. It works on it, but it does not process the HD video from it as easily as my super powered desktop can.

The USB tuners need CPU horsepower if you have integrated graphics that does not have VC1 and other MPEG4 accelerators (most intel GMA chipsets happen to be like this), ATI and nVidia graphics processors should have enough muscle to do the decoding for you. Starting in June you won't have to worry about capturing NTSC (which may require some processor horsepower).
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Hardware is about the only way to do it for now. I've tried out some tv software that promised thousands of channels but only a few basic channels actually came in. Thankfully it was through giveawayoftheday or I would have been slightly upset... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I think he means using the internet to get the programming, but I could be wrong.
    If you want local channels, you will more or less have to use a tuner as there is no "one stop shop" yet for streaming video online (HULU is the closest thing we have at the moment). Besides that, not many local channels do web broadcasts of their content. There are some media center applications that can pull HULU content and work with a TV tuner as well (get a "media center" remote and it should feel more like a TV than a computer).

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

If you want local channels, you will more or less have to use a tuner as there is no "one stop shop" yet for streaming video online (HULU is the closest thing we have at the moment). Besides that, not many local channels do web broadcasts of their content. There are some media center applications that can pull HULU content and work with a TV tuner as well (get a "media center" remote and it should feel more like a TV than a computer).
    I was thinking they still have a TV that they will use for local broadcasts.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Well what I would like to set up for them is something with a TV Remote (maybe works as a mouse too?) and the Basic Channels (like what you get through an antenna). Then anything else is just a bonus I guess. Most of the shows they watch are on Hulu, which is why I recommended it to them, but like I said before, its a bit of a hassle for them I guess so they aren't really into it too much.

I'm not sure if there is anything out there for what I need, just thought I'd ask here since I have no clue at all.

But maybe if there is something where they can hook up a TV antenna to their computer somehow, to watch over-the-air shows, but also somehow where the remote control can work as a mouse or something so they can go to hulu to watch some of the shows they like that they can't get from over-the-air tv.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

The USB tuners need CPU horsepower if you have integrated graphics that does not have VC1 and other MPEG4 accelerators (most intel GMA chipsets happen to be like this), ATI and nVidia graphics processors should have enough muscle to do the decoding for you. Starting in June you won't have to worry about capturing NTSC (which may require some processor horsepower).
    Don't some TV Tuners have a hardware decoder built in?