Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Khaos

Default Monster Khaos

Hey guys.

I'm pretty far along on this project to the point where I think getting some of the worklog up is in order. This case is actually a birthday present for my brother who absolutely loves the energy drink Monster: Khaos. Hence, the theme for the case.

Some of you may have seen my previous (and very first) case mod. If you haven’t seen the Dewy Case, check it out here:

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=9060

The base case for the new mod is this ugly hunk of junk

Instead of covering the whole case with cans, I'm going the more traditional mod road. Hack and slash. First things first was getting my design onto the case itself. I cut up a can and photoshoped out the "M" and the "KHAOS." They a little large, so I had to split them up across several pieces of paper:

Then taping the paper together I used some carbon paper to retrace the design on the top and side case panels

Then, after drilling holes in the side panel, I used my jigsaw to rough out the "M" on the side panel. After the rough shape was cut out, I switched to the Dremel. About 10 cutting discs later I had the side panel window done.

Since the top is much more intricate, I have to make a trip to the hardware store for a few more supplies before I can cut out the top. I'm hoping to have that done mid next week.

After removing the front panel I got rid of the original power and reset buttons and LED's. I also removed the ugly gray mesh from the front as well. I'll be reusing some of that later. It's in pretty poor shape tho. I'll be using the "Urban assault" 6" grill from MNPC tech. My brother loved the way that thing looks so I figured I'd make the guy happy. I then penciled in the location of the grill and holders.

Again back to the Dremel to cut off the excess plastic. Finally using files and sandpaper to make sure everything fits just right.

Now let's take a look at the bones of the case.

Yep... pretty ugly. Gotta fix that. The case is just riveted together with 1/8" rivets so they are easily removed with a drill and a 1/8th" bit.

Now I can work with the individual panels.

I'll be putting an orange 92mm fan out the back to replace the 80mm one that was there. I've got a round hole saw that will do the trick.

In hindsight, a drill press would have been a lot easier than my handheld drill.

Once I had the case parts all laid out on the bench I used some Competition orange Spray enamel to give all the interior pieces a little extra something.

The exterior of the case will be painted in a little more professional manner, but for the inside panels, I figured this would do the job. 12 bux of pain later I was able to rivet the case back together.

My 92mm fan is now installed and to make the hole a little cleaner I used some uchannel molding from MNPCTech. The orange fan came from performance-pcs.com and I have a 120mm fan for the front as well. They are both UV and LED. Should give it a nice glow later on.

Time to fix some of the ugliness of the front plastic part so I mixed up some bondo and went to work.

The original Power and reset buttons will be replaced with a new bracket and some Lan-li replacement parts also from Performance-pcs.com. The bracket is made from original metal mesh from the front of the case. Cut and bent to size. The actual electric switch mechanism will be hot glued in place and bolted to a piece of sheet metal that will fit in the open gap on the front of the case. The sheet metal will have a Monster: KHAOS can flattened and glued to it to provide an accent piece to the front.

That’s all the work that I've got done for now. I need to drink more Monster to get a few more cans ready for the Drive bays and HD bracket. Expect more updates this week.

Default Re: Monster Khaos

Glad I could help J-Roc

Got snowed in today so had time to finish cutting out the top window. Again using a Jigsaw to rough out the shapes and the dremel to do the detail work.

Took about 5 hours to complete. Sooooooo many nooks and crannies......

Too tired to post more than one picture...

The rest of this week will be prepping the panels for paint. I hope to have 'em ready and painted by the end of the week.

Started (and finished) sanding the outside 3 panels tonight. Didn't get as far as priming because I forgot to buy a new tack cloth and the old one just isn't going to cut it...

Getting rid of that ugly finish is a dusty affair.

Ahhhhhhh..... smooth....

If all goes as plan then I'll be priming tomorrow and painting on Friday. The paint will then require a 2 week cure before wetsanding. I'll be working on the front bezel this weekend and hopefully finishing that up.

More updates then.

I hadn't been planning on filling that in, but I do have quite a bit of bondo left so I sure could. It will should give the case a little more streamlines look which I'm all for. Shouldn't take too long to fill that in tonight and still get it primed. I think I'll do that

Thanks for the tip b4i7!

Ok, so didn't get the primer on the case tonight. I thought I could get away with one application of bondo, but I just wasn't able to. The first application was looking good, but once I got things really close I could see the small blemishes start to poke thru.

Here you can see the lighter spots that I wasn't able to sand out. I'll have to finish sanding tomorrow.

Here you can see the 2nd application and how much closer it gets.

Lastly, the front bezel is still limping along neglected. Figured I needed to get another layer of bondo on that guy still too. I'm hoping to get this guy further along this weekend too.

I know it doesn't look like much yet, but my next update should be a lot more substantial.

Alright, a friend of mine ended up comming to town this weekend, so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Also, priming the panels brought out more blemishes than expected. I knew it was going to reveal some, but I hadn't realized it would be as many.

Anyway, so here is the promised update.

I used a self etching primer because it creates a better bond to metal.

I only put one coat on the backside of the panels. Just enough to cover up any exposed metal. The front got two coats and allowed to dry.

This allowed me to see any scratches and imperfections that I missed when I was putting bondo and also where the *cough* dremel got away from me *cough*

Soooooooo....

Back to the bondo.

and filled in dremel scratch number 1...

and dremel scratch number 2

and the biggest part that needed smoothing was where I filled in the row of vents on the side of the case.

so I commenced sanding with 240 grit sandpaper to start, then swiched to 400 grit. I was able to smooth out the bondo and recoat with the primer.

so.. 4 coats of primer later, I'm now ready to wetsand and paint.

I actually was planning painting today, but my wife came home when I was in the shop (in the back of the garage) and determined that i was spending too much time in the fumes of the various substances I was using on the case (you know, paint, primer, bondo, and the dust from sanding said bondo) she determined that I need to buy a respirator before I continue on the case.

Sure it sets me back a day, but getting a free pass to buy a sweet Dual Cartrige Respirator is a bonus I suppose

Yeah, the only one I'll drink is the orange one. It's the only one with real juice in it i think. Personally I prefer Rockstar Juiced, but since it's for my brother I thought it would be best to go with his favorite.

Well, it's been a fairly productive week so far. Finally found time to get pictures of the fresh paint updated. But before that. Here is the anti-death-by-inhaling contraption (also known as a respirator.)

And making sure it fits...

HAHAHA Shameless!

I'm sorry you had to endure my pasty white ugly mug. Just couldn't help myself

After priming and some very light sanding with 600 grit sandpaper I prepped my paint. For the exterior of the case I'll be using some plasti-kote super enamel in gloss black. I've never actually used this particular brand before, but it comes very highly reccommended from lots of sources. I picked it up at a local auto parts store. It was about eleven bux a can.

Two coats on the interior sides of the panels and about 8 coats on the outside of the panels (I lost count after 4.) I waited 10 minutes between coats. I also had submerged the paint cans in hot water for 10 minutes prior to their use. I used about 1 1/2 cans of the paint. The rest will be used on the front later on.

The fumes were interfering with my camera pretty bad, so I'll have to take some pictures after the room has cleared up a little more. In the meantime, this is what I got.

I'm very pleased with the results so far. Unfortunately the paint brings out any small blemish even tho I thought I had taken care of them with the primer. Luckily they are VERY small blemishes which no one except me will even even notice.

The panels will now require a 2 week cure before I can work with them any more. That means I'll be working on the front bezel of the case this weekend. I'll post another update them and if I can manage I'll post some better pictures of the paint before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    How did you cut the details of the monster symbol? Like the little cutouts?

I see the Dremel but what type of bit? I have trouble with small details.
    Well, normally when you cut up a case you use something like a reinforced cutting wheel. For this project these wheels were just way too big to do the detail work so instead I used the smaller "normal" cutting wheels. You can get a pack of 36 or something for about six bux. They wear out wicked fast, but they are small and thin and were able to make all those nooks and crannies "relatively" easy.

I ended up grinding away LOTS of the metal instead of making simple cuts. Then once everything was in good enough shape it was on to the files. Most of the stuff could be smoothed or hardened with regular files, but some of the smaller parts I had to get a set of "hobby" files which are really really small. Then I could drill 1/8" holes and file them into more jagged shapes.

Batteries ran out of juice in the camera, I'll have better pictures of the paint up tomorrow. I hope to have some fresh pictures of the front ready as well.

Ok, I've got some better paint pictures for your viewing pleasure. My camera skills are pretty mediocre so you'll have to bear with me. I'll be working on the front bezel tomorrow and hope to have some progress pictures updated then.

For now, Enjoy!

Lian-Li cases are incredibly well built. They have a reputation for excellence, and the "plain" look about them makes customization a dream. They are really just great cases and easy to work with. Also they use good materials and thicker gauge metals which makes them strong.

I've recently discovered Antec's "B-stock" cases (which i believe are used) and will likely start using them for future projects. I have a few antec cases now and really like them. Also very sturdy and well built. Just not quite as modern as the newer Lian-Li's.

Started working on the case this afternoon and decided to go a slightly different route with my power and reset buttons. Originally I was going to use a thin piece of sheet metal and glue a portion of a Monster Can to it for decoration. After messing with the can a bit I decided I couldn't make it look quite right and decided to use the cans over the drive bays as well. That will make an quick and easy finish for those parts.

Instead, I decided that I needed a little texture up on the front so cut out another piece of that recycled round hole mesh and bolted that to the piece of sheet metal instead.

I simply cut my sheet metal and drilled my holes to fit. Unfortunately I didn't have the exact drill bit sizes,so I ended up doing some filing and sanding to make the switches fit.

Once fitted I put everything together for a mock up and decide if it was going to work.

I think that will work and it should give a little somethign extra to the front. I haven't decided if the mesh will get an orange coat of paint and the metal behind will be black, or if the metal behind will be orange and the mesh black. I didn't have the paint on hand right now anyway and it needs to get primed so I can jump that hurdle when the time comes.

Finally I dissembled everything off the front and gave it one last sanding and a couple times over with a tack cloth.

Finally, a coat of primer so I can get it painted up tomorrow.

I used a "flex" primer which is supposed to give a stronger bond to plastic and other materials. It's slightly different than the self etching primer which is really meant for bare metal.

Anyway, thats all I got for now.