Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: PrometheusCu

Default Re: Project: PrometheusCu

Nice work Langer! It could work although its taking the case in a more organic direction. It does speak to the excess theme tho . How thick are the panels? Will it highlight the strength of the CF too? As an alternate idea, maybe look at speaker plinths/spurs or high end turntables for inspiration?

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/t...le-roundup.php

http://www.soundocity.com/Oregondv/F...Adjustable.htm

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Nice fins Mach, they look sexy lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I totally agree with you Mach, I don't feel that it totally fits into the theme of the whole thing - that's why I'm asking for your aid.

I'd like to fabricate something along these lines - and I had planned on incorporating carbon throughout the case so I know the material will blend. It's the design that doesn't blend for me.

The carbon panels used would be fairly thick so I know the structure is there. There is also a fair bit of engineering that would go into these fins that you don't see in my rough concept illustration (I'll do another sketch to show this area - I'll post it later). So I'm certain that structural integrity wont be an issue.

I need the case elevated off the ground to maximize airflow to the rad, the case needs to be ~6CM off the ground.
    My worst nightmare is to have the feet ruin the whole aesthetic - having the case sit on 4black aluminum popcan style feet is not an option for me.

Trying to develop a foot that holds the system ~2.5"-3" in the air is proving very very tricky.

What I don't want to happen is something like this:

Because I'll be making a stealthing plate/cable management system for the back end I have another concept that would give me a look something like this:

What I can do for this look is, extend the back stealthing plate and the front of the rad tray - there is very little extra work needed for this design.

Agreed, the first picture looks bad.

Just to be clear though on the CF, I was asking to understand how thin they'd be ie something that'd highlight that its impossibly strong. The first though that comes to mind is Hyperboloid but still too organic.

You could go to down the path of the Mac Pro but that just seems too derivative.

I'll have a think and dig through my design folder. How well does CF perform in compression if it's water cut?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

how the cf will perform will depend on the weight of the cf itself, type of weave, type of resin used and how it was molded (hand-laid, pressure molded, injection molded, etc)

The carbon used with be extra rigid design, using high modulus fibers, and performance resins. A simple basket weave pattern. It will be pressure molded at ~600tonnes or so.

The carbon will be cut on a waterjet.

I'll do a drawing illustrating how I'd like to install these fins, as well as how I plan on incorporating the strength of carbon.

I just need to derive a way of making them more congruent with the rest of the design.

Ok, ok stupid question. The CF will be one step below space shuttle grade.

How about something like this?

http://www.designpublic.com/shop/blu-dot/11809

A little too curved but visually closer. All CF or alternating copper and CF.

Don't laugh but what about something like this?

Float the case above a weighted based that way you keep the visual lines but still get your gap.

I love the Omen and I want one, but a starting price of $11500...I cant afford that right now.

Here's my revision 2, but I've been given ideas for a couple other directions to take it which I'm going to sketch out (one is more like the omen).

*click for big*

@Mach - "Float the case above a weighted based that way you keep the visual lines but still get your gap." - That gives me a great design idea, I'm going to give it a shot tonight. Thanks again man!

Here is another idea for feet, inspired by the Omen.

All the concepts have a cable management back like the one featured in the picture below - the chunk removed from one corner is for the rear mounted AquaComputer Multiswitch.

In this design we extend the height of the back tray and the front Matrix Orbital Housing.
    This also helps by offering a location for the Aquaero to be installed, below the Matrix Orbial Typhoon.

A hybrid of rev2 and rev3: