Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: PrometheusCu

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Project: PrometheusCu

I cant imagine how many end mills you went through to cut those. I went through a spiral cutting bit and a ton of cutting wheels to cut out the carbon that I layed up

lol, yeah.

Carbon > Carbide.

I started with the cutter plunged all the way up to the shank then every ~50inches I had to raise the cutting height about 1/16th - to take advantage of a fresh spot. Carbon is tough ****, it'll actually dull a 2 flute 1/8" carbide cutter down to an almost perfectly smooth shaft if you aren't paying attention - or so I learned.

The beauty is that with a sharp cutter you can deburr the edge with your finger nail... it makes a PERFECT cut.

I tried 'high speed stainless steel' cutters today... they lasted all about 10inches. Ironically SB Simpson charges $12 for 1/8" carbide cutters and $15 for the ss ones.

You know you're getting too complicated with your design when your 'test fit' takes you an hour to setup...

More teasing below:

This was just a 'quick' mock-up using coat hangers to hold the pins in alignment. The final setup will have additional support below the 'pretty bottom plate' that the fins are slotted into. There will be a piece cut from 8.5mm thick carbon plate in the exact same cutout pattern as the 'pretty bottom plate' that will offer more support for the fins and also more bottom stability.

Enough chit chat... here are the pics:

There are 3 different types of fins that will be positioned in specific places in final construction.

You can see the random order - this was done just to make sure all the fins fir properly... oddly enough a few needed some filing.

Normally I wouldn't share this stage but I've been hounded for more pictures on most of my worklogs for this project. Of course the fins will all be cleaned, filed, polished, and spaced parallel (and illuminated!) when all's said and done... but that comes later.

Tune in soon for more.

I thought that I should post some updated sketches showing the final outcome - more or less:
    Exploded:
    *click for big - 2000x1600*

Assembled:
    *click for big - 2000x1600*

Quote Originally Posted by Langer View Post
    You know you're getting too complicated with your design when your 'test fit' takes you an hour to setup...
    I don't know if I would say that. But gawd this is going to be pure awesome. Looking forward to seeing the copper added.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

No pics , gotta wait until I get home from uni lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Anodized

Dude it looks amazing. That is odd though that even though every fin was cut the same that some need that filing. it happens though everything is not always the same. Cant wait to see the case actually nestled in there. It is going to look hotttt!

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

/\ enough said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Dude, you are a mod god.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Teaser pics:

EMI shielding that was actually made for shielding the U.S. Presidential helicopter. The sheet in the images below is some of the remaining cutouts - the rest of it is inside the 'dashboard' protecting the radios and other instruments.
    I will be using some of the 'scrap pieces' to shield my sound card, SSDs, and my ZenHead portable amp (lol).

Excuse the crappy images, my point and shoot isn't good in... well... any light.