Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 747525354555657585960 LastLast

Thread: Project: PrometheusCu

Default Re: Project: PrometheusCu

I believe the "bar" is what Langer was referring to when he answered back in October

One of the fins did in fact break, the router caused some vibration which shook a fin into the cutting path. No worries though, I've already made some design adjustments to negate the error.

Fresh Paint

oops missed that
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. - J. Robert Oppenheimer

I just read every single page. This is the project that makes me want to mod computers.

Sorry for the pause, however school is done and I'm back at it.

I'm modding daily again and will have an update coming friday.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Good to hear buddy, I have been waiting for this day for a long time .
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Ahh, let the insanity continue! Welcome back man! At some point, I expect details on the final project(s) from school.

Anodized

Happy to see you back! I was starting to get worried!

Greetings and Hello fellow modders and enthusiasts.

First I'd like to start off by stating that I'm very sorry for the long wait! I apologize for the hold-up.

Life threw a few curveballs my way, and the Digital Design program at Vancouver Film School is intense; I can count on 1-hand the number of times I was able to go out and have fun this year. The course demands the completion of 81post secondary credits in just 1 year (as a comparison, many of my friends attending University here in Canada are required to complete only about 20credits a year).

Now it's all done and over with, if you'd like some info on where it's taken me check out the about page on my, still developing, website. I don't have much of my latest work on there but the about page should do a good job of summing me up. http://jesselang.ca/about-me

LETS GET TO IT SHALL WE?

I am proud to present, for your viewing pleasure, update number 53 in project PrometheusCU
    ================================================== ================

When we last left off I was rushing to get parts cut in the week before I had to pack-up and move west to Vancouver. At that time I moved into a Hotel for the first 3months, and had 0access to any kind of shop. For the most part, the project has been packed and boxed awaiting completion.

I took it upon myself to take another jab at modding full force back in January/Febuary - however my final project took precedent.

Last firday afternoon I grabbed my files, the rough-cut copper parts, and a comfy spot on the couch and spent the day filing.

Since friday, I've spent every day morning-night filing copper... my inexperience with the CNC router cutting process combined with the increased cutting speed I needed to get the parts done in time yielded very very ****ty edges. Just about each piece has needed between 5-10hrs+ of filing to get perfect, and even then I'm only just finishing the first pass of filing on most parts.

(In trying to land a gig working at Google they gave me a NexusOne to play with - and being that it's the only camera I have at home at the moment: Pictures presented by Google )

I'll start with some detail images of the edges left by the CNC router:
    It looks like a dog breakfast for now, but thankfully they all clean up REALLY nicely.

Here I've placed the carbon behind the copper as it will be in the end:

A quick preview of where I'm at with the first pass of filing:

Here's another mock-up with the carbon:

I'm just about finished pass 1 on these parts:

I couldn't leave you without some previews of how the case stands at the moment:

Here's a head-on shot of the drive-bay area showing how the PICO and Pump are to be mounted:

Note the clearance... of 0:

The addition of the reservoirs required the pump be oriented differently, which of-course means cutting something:

Some of you who have been following this project for (how long has it been now?) may recall my former shop and working facilities: PHOTO GALLERY LINK.

Well gone are those days, I'd like to introduce to you my current workshop - from soldering to grinding, drilling to filing this is my home:

Here's my view of today's gloomy Vancouver weather - it may rain alot here but the sunny days make it more than worthwhile:

Not being one to shy away from a good pun; I want to share with you the location where PrometheusCU has been living for the past year.

This is the wall above the bed in my bedroom - this project has quite literally been looming over my head for the past 9months. It's the last thing I see at night (on the slow nights anyway ) and the first thing I see in the morning. I even had visions of being crushed by faulty Ikea shelving overweighted with copper, which I must admit would have been a pretty good irony.

Sorry again for making you all wait, but I'm pretty sure that most of you will agree with me when I say it was worth it.

That's all I have for you for now.
    Life is pretty lax for me now. I am doing a lot of consulting for usability and interaction design projects attempting to harness social media - most of which I do from home. In short: I have lots of time for modding now, and I plan on taking advantage of it.

The next update with be accompanied by a number of surprises - thanks for reading.
    Tune in soon.

*j

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

nice! glad you're back!!

Good to be back

Thanks a lot.

On the topic of kinky tubes:
    This is a quick mock-up, and the tubing will sport stainless steel anti kink coils and a layer of nylon multifilament sleeving over top. In the end that will not be an issue.

Here are some very early mock-ups showing a rough result:

*j