Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Portal Speakers

Default Re: Portal Speakers

Today I waited for the mail to come, but I didn’t get the EL wire I ordered. Maybe tomorrow.

Instead, I worked more on the paint. The screenshot shows that There is some grading between the gray of the cube, and the complete white of the corner pieces. I decided that I would try my hand at dry brushing to add the gray. I first added the gray, and then after it had dried a little more I added another drybrush layer of white. It turned out pretty ok. There’s some natural looking wear on the corner pieces, and grade from gray to white looks pretty good too.

Here’s the cube sanded. The white was way too shiny, and the finish wasn’t completely smooth. Sanding also added some wear to the cube that it needed. None of the pictures here show the detail very well.

Here you can see the gray added and the super light white coat to cover up the wear that was a little overboard.

Finally, here’s a close up of the gray to white. The gray does not show up very well in the pic. Sorry, there’s nothing I can really do to fix that.

Later I will add a clear coat, but first I will wait for the EL wire to show up and I will get it mounted and epoxied in.

I checked the mail again today and still no EL wire. I'm also going to be camping Monday-Wednesday, so don't expect an update until Thursday at the earliest. I'm pretty frustrated that I'm still waiting on the EL wire, but there is nothing I can do about it. Right now I'm going to the craft store to look for some things I need for the speakers. Hopefully I can find what I'm looking for.

Talk to you next week!

After sanding it's quite a bit like the Cube - check it out in bright sunlight, that'll tell you for sure just how close. Awesome either way - and +rep for not incinerating the little guy!

Hey, now we know what companion cubes are weighted with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Argh . . .I'm back from camping and still no EL wire. I'm hoping later this week.

Camping, however, was incredible. I may be becoming an enthusiast.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

sounds like you already are... el wire you will have to do a review/ tutorial on that one..
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

ATX Mental Case NamesAreUseless's Avatar

The heart looks slightly askew, but other than that, it looks awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    I came in here expecting furries, I leave disappointed..

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    sounds like you already are... el wire you will have to do a review/ tutorial on that one..
    I'll make sure I do a review and tutorial, although the review so far is going to be poor. Today's mail has come and gone and my EL wire has not come yet. I'm getting a little frustrated as I'll be leaving for NY on Wednesday and I won't be back for a week. I'm sure that it will be here when I get back from there (I hope) but it really puts me behind schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by NamesAreUseless View Post
    The heart looks slightly askew, but other than that, it looks awesome.
    The pieces aren't glued in place yet, I just tossed the circle on and took the picture. That is the best of the hearts, however, and a few of them aren't perfect, but I'm not willing to repaint the whole thing again.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

i hate slow mail... (2 packages on the way)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Alright, well . . .I'm leaving in a few hours to go to New York to visit my fiance for a week. The mail has come and gone today and there is still no EL wire. I'm very frustrated, and at the moment I'm not a huge fan of worldaglow.com. If my package isn't here by the time I get back I'm going to have to give them a ring. The most frustrating this is that I've read several places online that say they ship so fast and that they are great. My order went in on Aug 3, so I would really expect it by now.

. . .Oh well. I'll update when I return.