Thread: Picking out the right memory...

Default Picking out the right memory...

As some might know by looking at my "My System" drop down thingy, i use old-school DDR memory. i only have 1gb of it though and it's about time i dropped some pocket change and got 2gb. My current memory is mix-matched stuff and really slow. My motherboard supports a max. of 2Gb.

But i have a simple question that i should probably know by now, but does the memory speed matter when upgrading? my two stick of memory are at 200 and 133 mhz and the ones i'm looking at buying are 400 mhz. will these work in my pc? or will only a genie know this answer?

Here are some of the products i've been looking at:

2x Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR

2x Crucial 1024MB PC3200 DDR

2x Corsair 1024MB PC3200 DDR

Any suggestions? these are all really cheap so whichever, in your guys' opinions, is the fastest, will be the winner in my pc

EDIT: i'm leaning towards the crucial, cause i saw an ad of their's in a GFW magazine one time... they looked pretty legit..
    “An intelligent hell would be better than a retarded paradise”
    -Victor Hugo

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Picking out the right memory...

I'd go with the Crucial because it's cheaper and the latency is pretty good.

All of that is budget RAM, the DDR-400 will work fine in your motherboard. Although my RAM is rated at DDR2-1066 and my motherboard doesn't technically support that speed, it still works fine.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    All of that is budget RAM, the DDR-400 will work fine in your motherboard. Although my RAM is rated at DDR2-1066 and my motherboard doesn't technically support that speed, it still works fine.
    Yes i know it's budget RAM, but this pc is kinda old... and i think it only supports DDR memory anyway.

The model is K7MNF-64 and as far as i've found out i can't stick in DDR2 memory
    “An intelligent hell would be better than a retarded paradise”
    -Victor Hugo

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

If your motherboard doesn't support the speed, or you have slower memmory in there, it just underclocks the new stuff that you put in. You could "overclock" it to run at it's rated speed, if your motherboard supports that.

Ram works as fallows.

If it fits in the memory bank, it'll work. Might not work at the rated speed but it will work.