Thread: Can't download but the internet still works.

Default Can't download but the internet still works.

a couple of weeks ago i started noticing that my anti virus software (Avira AntiVir Personal) couldn't connect to the internet or was really really slow when it wanted to update. i Tried to manually update it but it still doesn't work. then i noticed that i cant download anything at all with Firefox 3 and IE. the strange thing is i can still look at websites and use torrents, etc... also most of the videos on youtube don't work anymore even though i have the latest flash player installed. Does anyone know what might be causing this and/or how i can fix it?? Thnx for any suggestions

Water Cooled

Default Re: Can't download but the intenet still works.

sounds like you have a virus or some other form of malware. You may try booting into safemode with networking. That may allow you to download your vscan updates and run a full scan. You may also want to look at what kind of stuff is in your startup by going into MSConfig. (please don't start turning off stuff unless you know what you are doing)

That should give you a good starting point. Post an update on whether that worked and what the result was.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

no i dont think its a virus and/or malware because i reinstalled XP and also we have another computer that is connected to the same modem/router and it has the same problem

I agree with zeus . .sounds like something or another has modified your browser settings.
    Maybee a Trojan or HiJacker. I would install avast home edition which is free and let it run a scan of your memory
    before xp loads. Its the default option when installing avast.

Forgot to mention you may need to uninstall your other antivirus program first.

i still don't think that its a virus or malware because i have re-formatted and installed XP twice and I've also scanned the comp for viruses but it didn't find anything i will try safe booting it now ill keep u updated

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Somebody's computer that I worked on had really stupid anti-virus software. It kept blocking the internet, because it "wasn't safe." I ended up just having to remove it. I'm pretty sure that the Avira AntiVir is ok, though. Could it be the router/modem, or the onboard ethernet on the computer, or the cord?

Water Cooled

that's a good point nevermind. I have seen AV and firewall software block all download requests too. Try disabling or removing all security software you have for a little while to see if that helps. If it doesn't, it may be your modem/router. Have you tried calling you ISP for support yet?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Unplug the router and patch the modem directly into one of your computers. If it solves the problem then its the router, if not its a problem with the ISP.

Thnx for all your suggestion. i Think the problem was the internet in my area because one of my friendswho lives near me had the same problems with the intenet. all fixed now