Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Painting

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Digital Painting

:]

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

You've definitely improved heaps! It really does have a hellish mood about it, you've done well with that. May I offer a few suggestions?

As Jon already mentioned, maybe try extending your tonal range a bit. Both colours and highlights and shadows. One way to quickly check your tonal range is to convert your image to greyscale. Ideally, you'll have lots of contrast, ranging from pure blacks to whites, with plenty of greys in between. I know you're aiming for a specific colour scheme to create a certain mood, but don't be afraid to go a bit wild with contrast. Contrast can add HEAPS to a painting, and you can also use it to emphasise more important parts of it that you want to draw focus to, such as the castle.

Adding onto my comment about colour and contrast; you want to throw in a light source. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a specific one, and it looks a bit flat. Have a contrasting light source to add definition to your highlights and shadows.

I really like that tree, now that I look at it again.

Lastly, for now, don't try to paint with too much detail. Try doing paintings that focus on elements of the tone and structure of the overall painting. Do them in low resolutions and concentrate on how to create a certain object or element of landscape (for example) without drawing in the actual details. In case I'm not making myself clear enough, here's a few good examples:
    http://jessada-nuy.deviantart.com/ar...Paint-61593811
    http://blinck.deviantart.com/art/For...Paint-52588066
    http://blinck.deviantart.com/art/Spe...-City-53379912
    Notice how, when you view the thumbnail, it looks like a fully detailed painting, but when you full view it, they actually don't have that much detail at all? They focus on lighting, composition and structure to achieve the desired effect.

Sorry if my suggestions went on for a bit long... Keep practicing, I can already see your painting skills getting sooo much better, and practice makes perfect. You don't have to pay attention to anything I just wrote lol, they're just suggestions.

Can't wait to see artwork more from you!

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.

Thanks for the suggestions! My next painting will hopefully have more colors, I need to make a custom color palette or something. My reasoning behind the lack of shadows is a) my stupid tool I was going to use for that made everything black, lol and b) it's really cloudy and dark, and usually on cloudy days you can just barely tell shadows are there.

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

Out of interest, what program are you using, and are you painting with a mouse or tablet?

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.

I am using Deep Paint and a tablet. I can't really afford anything extravagant so a free program will have to do, lol.

today digital painting is one of the most popular category in the paint many peoples realized that without the digital painting no one can make the paint and i personally like and i also want many things for making the digital paint...