Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible media server

Default Re: Possible media server

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Killa View Post
    What colour are you thinking of painting the case?
    It's Ubuntu, what do you think? Brown, of course.

\And no, I'm not hating - almost every one of my machines runs some form of Ubuntu.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crippler View Post
    It's Ubuntu, what do you think? Brown, of course.

\And no, I'm not hating - almost every one of my machines runs some form of Ubuntu.
    Yea, I know there's nothing wrong with ubuntu, I used it my self for about 6 months until I got hold of an XP disk. Only because Windows is what I'm used to. I need to learn a little more about linux before I'd make the jump perminantly.

Sorry to thread-jack, but does linux support SLI or Crossfire, mainly for openGL based programs?
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Killa View Post
    Sorry to thread-jack, but does linux support SLI or Crossfire, mainly for openGL based programs?
    I know that Nvidia has put together SLI support - but it's still being tweaked. So far as I know, ATI hasn't hopped on board with Crossfire yet...but then, Nvidia has always rolled with more support for the Linux community.

However, both are much better in a Windows environment. It really comes down to what the two operating systems are used for. When push comes to shove, Linux is not the best gaming environement, and that's what SLI/Crossfire is generally used for. (And yes, I realize that Linux can be bullied in to running games, but it's not the strength of it.)

I hope that answers some questions for you. (I also appologize for thread-jacking.)

Overclocked

Yea, the main reason for asking was mainly about games, but it could also apply to CAD software, if there is any for Linux. What about the CUDA based stuff, does that work for Linux?

I think with the amount of money AMD has thrown ATI's way, they should support everything, but I guess they want to beat nVidia hands down in the next generation of GPU's.

I read somewhere that intel are bringing out a CPU/GPU mixed thingy. I wonder if they will make it dual-core/own version of SLI/crossfire. Imagine two of them on a skulltrail like board (two CPU's). Two quad-cores, one for CPU, and the other for graphics. Should handle crysis very well, depending on whether intel could actually produce a decent graphics side of it. There will probably be loads of bugs with it too.

How the hell I manage to waffle this much at nearly 4 in the morning I don't know.

Back to the mod. This mod should look sweet when it's finished. By the looks of things, it will do ubuntu proud. Shame you coulden't fit watercooling in there XD. Although you could use something like the reservator.
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0