Thread: Multiple Monitors.

Overclocked

Default Multiple Monitors.

I curently have a fairly standard 22" LCD ( MV220 22" )

I want to by a 30" Monitor (gateway 30" XHD3000)

I'm also planning on getting the 9800GX2 graphic card.

if the 30" uses 2 DVI inputs to get native resolution.. is there a way to hook up both monitors with just the one card (and still have the native 2560 x 1600 resolution on the 30" )

thanks

(I only have one PCIe slot)

sometimes I feel lost... than I remember I'm not going anywhere.

Default Re: Multiple Monitors.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/13814...me_hd_lcd.html

There is no monitor or tv that requires 2 video connections for a single output. As you can see from the images on the product page above, you have a many choices for video input but only one will be inuse at a time. You can connect multiple computers to the monitor and change from one to the other like changing channels (maybe even PiP).

You should use the DVI connector. HDMI will limit you to 1900x1080ip and may distort text and fine detail when used as a monitor.

Overclocked

Ooohh thanks. I thought by "dual-link DVI connection" they ment 2 physical cables, but I did a bit more reading (after reading your post), and it is just how many pins that are bieng used by the DVI cable,

Thanks for making me Read (more then I have already :p) +rep

(on a side note, what's the big deal with HDMI? I hear alot of people complaining they want more HDMI inputs... I have never used one in my life.. and if they are only limited to 1900x1080.. or is that what HD tv's use?)

sometimes I feel lost... than I remember I'm not going anywhere.

A lot of HDTV's use HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface). Correct me if I'm wrong, but HDMI is a "streamlined" way to send digital video and audio signal, all in one convenient cable. HDMI 1.3 isn't limited to 1080p either, it can display WQXGA as well (2560x1600), making it 1600p because the bandwidth as been increased to 10.2Gbps, but no current TVs display that high. That's also single link so it would be video only (?). It has better quality than component connections too.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx#15
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Since it's unlikely that your card will come with an HDMI cable, use DVI. When I get a new monitor I'll be hooking up my 360 via HDMI and my computer with DVI but realistically, HDMI is way too expensive for most people to bother.
    RIP Bucko

Overclocked

ah.,. there are some monitors that use 2 dvi cables.. for the higher rez... becareful because they sometimes need 2 dvi ports for 1 monitor.. But dual link dvi is 1 fat dvi cable to do the higher rez put a normal dvi cable you can only go like half the rez it can do
    Last edited by SgtM; 01-10-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    ah.,. there are some moniters that use 2 dvi cables.. for the higher rez...
    I've seen one that uses 2 dvi cables at once but it displays 3d. Cant find a link.

I also found out why my 32" plasma distorts text at 1080. Its because im forcing it. its only rated to 720p. With the older vga plug, i can get 1400x900.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Black View Post
    Ooohh thanks. I thought by "dual-link DVI connection" they ment 2 physical cables, but I did a bit more reading (after reading your post), and it is just how many pins that are bieng used by the DVI cable,

Thanks for making me Read (more then I have already :p) +rep

(on a side note, what's the big deal with HDMI? I hear alot of people complaining they want more HDMI inputs... I have never used one in my life.. and if they are only limited to 1900x1080.. or is that what HD tv's use?)
    just a big fat dvi cable is what it is.. to do the higher rez have one at work they lost the cable and when they hooked up the dvi cable isntead they lost alot of resolution because of it
    Last edited by SgtM; 01-10-2009 at 11:36 PM.