Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advise needed in building home storage solution.

Default Re: Advise needed in building home storage solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Isnt LAMP a web serving build? Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP?
    That is correct. It is a home server, but not necessarily the kind of home server Jon is looking for. Now that doesn't mean you can't load up Samba on it and use it for network storage as well. I guess it all depends on what your looking to do.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    That is correct. It is a home server, but not necessarily the kind of home server Jon is looking for. Now that doesn't mean you can't load up Samba on it and use it for network storage as well. I guess it all depends on what your looking to do.
    Correct on both counts. It is a web server, but I use it as network storage. It takes up a bit more hard drive space, but the trade off is that it is much more robust.

Plus, it's a pretty good learning tool for baby steps in linux.

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/06...r_own_server/1

Edit: Looks like they've updated the tutorial to Ubuntu 7.04. And added some extra stuff to it as well.
    Last edited by Drum Thumper; 08-25-2008 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Sorry it took me a while. Had a busy weekend, and the kids started school today. I'm so torn on what to recommend. Of course, I like the LAMP functions, but all you really want to do is build a machine and use simple file sharing. For ease of setup, I would recommend XP Pro with shared folders, then take your PC with Media Center on it, and map drives to your XP Pro machine. You said you don't have the money for a license.. well, I can help with that. No problem.

On the other hand, like Joe said, it's nice to have the functionality of a LAMP. Install samba like Curtis said, and you're all set. It all really comes down to how much time you want to put into it. Since you said that you aren't strong on the linux side, I would recommend windows unless you want to put some time into learning simple linux commands. The file system is a little strange to get used to at first, but after a few hours use, it's easy to find your way around.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I got a hold of an older machine and just set it up by adding another hard drive and redid the Windows install. Went with XP Home and mapped the drives from both mine and the wife's computers. Future plans are going to switch to Ubuntu but I wanted to run something I was familiar with.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

This month's issue of MaximumPC has an article on page 72 about setting up a FreeNAS box. Might be worth checking out down at B&N.

My Flickr Stream

http://revision3.com/systm/freenas/

Here is a Systm episode devoted to building a FreeNAS machine.

I decided to give this a try:
    Home PC re-formatted and replaced with WinXP Pro, Media Center 2005 loaded on the media box.

How does that drive mapping thing work?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

If you go into 'My Computer" under tools you see map network drive. You just have to make sure File and print sharing is on on the storage computer. Because mine was just to hold music and docs I shared the whole drive. Once you have map network drive open you can set a Drive letter and then browse for the network 'folder' that is the drive. Then select 'reconnect on 'login' so you don't have to do this each time you start up the computer and apply. Then you should be all set.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Thanks B!

I have the second PC set up and am using my copy of Media Center on both PC's until I have obtained a copy of XP Pro (I cleared it with Microsoft, and they said it's fine so long as I don't abuse the situation). On the media box, I have everything setup and have mapped a drive from both PC's which now shows up as a network drive on the home PC in My Computer. My network was set up to allow file and print sharing but I still cannot copy a file to the network drive from the home PC. Any ideas why?

+rep to everyone who has helped me!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Thanks B!

I have the second PC set up and am using my copy of Media Center on both PC's until I have obtained a copy of XP Pro (I cleared it with Microsoft, and they said it's fine so long as I don't abuse the situation). On the media box, I have everything setup and have mapped a drive from both PC's which now shows up as a network drive on the home PC in My Computer. My network was set up to allow file and print sharing but I still cannot copy a file to the network drive from the home PC. Any ideas why?

+rep to everyone who has helped me!
    Sounds like you need to click a box to allow other users to edit files on your server box.

Right click your drive that is being shared, and there's a box under the network name field that says "Allow other users to change my files". Be sure that is checked.

My Flickr Stream