Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aether Series-Model One-Aether Boiler

Default Aether Series-Model One-Aether Boiler

This is my first real modification, and as such, all criticism and advice for further mods are greatly appreciated.

The inspiration of this mod was the idea of a computational or Difference Engine, utilised by some airship captain to plot courses to far off lands. The device applies the mystical substance of Aether to power these calculations. The core mechanics of this fantastical device was found by a group of marauders while exploring a bombed out airship factory. They rebuild the machine the best they could.

...or something like that. In short, SteamPunk is on the menu.

The case for this mod is a basic micro-atx beige box donated by a local computer shop.

Here is a detail shot of the interior. Notice the vertical harddrive cage. I need to move that in order to incorporate a front intake fan.

To achieve this, I'm going to mount the harddrive cage beneath the drive assembly. Somewhat like this...

The flex on the sides of the harddrive cage is somewhat concerning, but I don't think its enough to ruin the plan. If I had a harddrive, I would test it...knockon wood

Before attaching the two pieces, I took the liberty of cutting out some material to increase airflow (and because I can

I'll further smooth these with a metal file, and then use U-channel to clean it up nice.

Mounted, the new cage assembly looks like this

Thats all for now, I'll update later tonight.

Vision
    We are not limited by our abilities, but by our vision. And everyone has vision.

Default Re: Aether Series-Model One-Aether Boiler

..."Aether is a difficult substance to confine and harness. To combat the heat produced by this process. Aether based difference engines require a large turbine to maintain operable temperatures of the Aether Controlled Presureway Unit (or C.P.U.)...."

I got some work done on the cooler for this build. I'm using a CoolerMaster Eclispe I got on sale, and some slight tweaks made it just that much better. Before...

I thought some mesh would allow for a more industrial look. Hereis a mock up on the shroud.

Add a little copper paint (sorta copper anyway) and epoxy to attach the grill...

...and a little wire management

and you get a Aether Controlled Pressureway Unit Cooling Turbine.

The paint ended up creating a few cracks and some interesting...well, riverbed effects. Must have been the flexible primer it didn’t like. But the look is good- these kinda make it look more aged and rough, something I'm going for. The mesh got some dings and ruptures to add to that effect as well.

Which comes to a question- Should I put more holes in the mesh, so that more airflow occurs? The mesh was just some mesh I scavenged, not designed for airflow. Risk of overheating?

Cheers
    Vision
    We are not limited by our abilities, but by our vision. And everyone has vision.

Cheers sir, I can't wait to see it! now...

Time for a update I think.

A little cutting to get things started. This vent is on the bottom of the case, and will be repaced with mesh.

The front of the case had a hard point for a usb board, but that was outdated usb 1.0 (I think...), and I happened to have a higherspeed usb hub, and a usb expansion card with a internal plug.

Here's my first mock up.

First, more cutting

Then a little bend...

And with a little scrap metal rentention plate you get...

I'm not happy with this for numerous reasons. The angle it's mounted makes it hard to plug into it, and it doesn't take into account the depth of the faceplate. I'll have the new mount tomorow with any luck.

Speaking of the front bezel,
    before

That opening will get mesh and a collection of steampunk doodads and fiddlie-jigs surrounidng the usb hub.

The rear fan has been a bit of an issue. the case doesn't have a large enough area to mount it, so I had to change it. Trying to keep in mind this is sapposed to be build by a bang of no-goods with no paticular fabrication experience, I kept it primitive. I cut some of the material, then bent it back to create a sort of funnel to force the air in the right direction. some crafty mesh work should help clean it up-stay tuned

ok, thats all i have so far. hopefully tomorow results in some more work done.

Vision

Update time

Firstly, I got some more steampunk toys. Here's my collection so far

I moved the USB hub mount forward. Hopefully the simpliest answer is best.

I also made some room for cable mangement. It might be a litle tight on space, but it should help.
    The top of the motherboard tray..

some slits cut

and bent out of the way

Now, you've seen alot of cutting of holes. Here's what I plan on covering them with

Nice weaved mesh, totally overkill and superb. and to boot, it already looks old and abused.

Which is because it is, I salvaged it from an old building. No telling how old it is.

Tried using a jigsaw with a metal blade, but the sheet is so large i had trouble clamping it down adequatly. So, to the dremel. Ate alot fo cut off disks, and was alittle tedius. But cut it did.

in place on the cage

I managed to cut the piece for the rear fan mount just before I...ah...broke the dremel. Will have to get back to when I fiqure how to work that out!

Vision

Mach, now this is a treat! I read about the Retromod and Cobra-matic, was it? I really liked those pieces. You should love one of my next projects, but I won't spoil that until this is done.

Now then, lets address the front of the case, as it seems to have been tossed aside as of yet.

The plan is to have it painted copper, and feature a drain grill on the front that will serve as a 120mm intake. The drive covers did not come with the case, so I make some. I originally had plans for a old boiler door to go their, but it was too big and fairly hefty, making mounting a problem. I'll get back to that later

Now, I admit that I am not totally trained in using tools in anyway. Most of the time, I make do, but I do need some guidance now and again. My dad is usually the one who foots that bill. I don't have a 4.5 inch hole saw, So I had a problem making the whole for the intake. I got dad to offer his two cents. Indeed, it actually got really into and did it for me. Would have been cool to learn how to do it myself, but It got done, right?

He started out by making a jig- a perfect circle (not sure how he cut it out)- to guide a router.

He got this far until he realises that the guide wheel on the bit had slipped (or something to that effect) and the as of yet perfect circle began to skew

You can see here how it differentiates

However, all is not lost. He was pretty bummed out about it all, but I still have a wooden laminate that is going on the front. As long as that has a perfect circle, no one will see the lower levels.

I hope to had said piece done tomorrow-stay tuned

vision

Pretty big update tonight.

I started with the intake fan. First, I marked out the cuts and holes needed.

My Dad was helping with this part (my inexperience requires supervision sometime lol) He insisted on using the Jigsaw for the front hole, instead of the dremel cutoff wheel I've come to love. But, I got alittle more experience, so am I more than content.

I'll clean it up later.

Next, I got some work on the front bezel. Dad made a new jig for the hole in the front laminate. (Which looks like this)

but, the jig

little jigsaw...

Using the router on the jig, we managed to make a appropriate hole, no problems this time

I trimmed it up with a exacto knife...

And glued it to the plastic piece that removes from the bezel

Lastly, one prime example of the spoils of scavange!

Its a old sprinkler from a fire suppression system. I'm going to put it inside the case, incase a fire breaks out
    I made a wooden "puck" with a hole saw, and stained it. I then used a bore to cut a opening.

The hole is just too large, the sprinkler stays in place, but its not steady enough for me to mount it over a system

To insure my fire suppression system didn't come crashing down, I spread some more epoxy on the threads and interior. It should hold fine when it dries.

That’s all for today, I hope to get the case ready for paint sometime this week

Vision

So, a flat grate needs to be mounted to a curve? No problem, just clamp it down...

and hit it with a hammer until it looks like this

See? Isn't that nice?

Vision

got more done on the front bezel tonight.

This is what the front looks like with the newly veneered part installed

Simply put a single bolt on the top to hold it in place. Might add more to it later to make sure it doesn't fall down, but I find a steampunk joy in watching the grate swing back and forth on the one bolt

I found this piece of hardware in my pile of goodies, not totaly recalling where it came from. It swivels around it's central point-not entirely aware of its intended purpose.

However...

That is one overbuilt powerswitch

It's going on the cases original "name-tag"

Alas, I didn't take pictures of what I did to said nametag. Originally, I had covered it with some thing scrap metal I had in the shop, which had some nice age to it. However, I decided to go with wood (veneer to be exact). I cut it roughly, and put a spare piece of mesh between the layers to make it look more broken. The switch is on one side, and behind the mesh is the power and harddrive activly leds. I'm not sure, but I hope the power one is the amber, and the harddrive is the white. Amber is more steampunk, and the flashes of white could look like speratic short circuts.

I cut some spare quater round I had to fit on the sides of the front bezel

And how it looks alltogether as of now

I think the quater round will need another coat of stain.

Vision

Paint Update

Used the same copper paint as the cooler

I had originally planned on painting the interrior the same copper, but someone was helping clean the shop, and lost my other can. I had a yellow metalic paint that looks sorta polished coppery. I think it turned out ok.

This shot shows the two tones side by side.

Next, I painted the usb hub.

I was out of the copper paint, so I tried to replicate a rust effect.

It took a couple of tries to get a mix I was happy with.

On the side panel, I wanted a impact mark- like something inside had exploded. This will be cosmetic, and also act as a VGA vent.

After drilling a hole, I used a old screwdriver to hammer out the impact.

I continued this untill I found a good size and pattern

Now, explosions usualy have flame and heat. So, what better to replicate this then a blow torch.
    Clamped down

some cool blisters

Also burned it up on the inside

I have a nice big presure gauge, which im going to attach with adhesive to the top of the case. I used a piece of bended pipe i had to act as a transition between the guage and case. But it was too shiny and new, so I took the blowtorch to it aswell to age it up.

Sticking it to the case (Sorry, didn't take a picture of it attachted to the top. But I'll post one later)

Lastly, I touched up the front control panel. I reinforced the leds on it with a little hotglue, and put a old meat themonitor head on the front with alittle adhesive.

Vision

Parts!

In order to replace the bay covers, I used some scrap metal I had around the shop to create a "firewall" of sorts.

I also stealthed the optical drive with the veneer used on the rest of the front bezel.

I'm using a Thermocoupler I found at the restore and I'm going to weave it around the USB Hub.

[img]

I should have assembled pictures later.

Vision