Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which anti-virus/anti-spyware do you recommend?

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Default which anti-virus/anti-spyware do you recommend?

I have been using spybot and AVG, and a very serious trojan made it into my XP laptop and my parent's XP PC. I was able to zap the trojan with ClamWin, but the damage was so bad that I had to re-format the drive and start over. So I am not going to trust a windows machine to any of the free security software.

With a fresh install of XP the laptop starts up and gets on-line a whole lot quicker than it used to with all the crap that the wife put on it. Now I need to install some security software to prevent the crud that I had to suffer for the last couple of days.

Which one do you guys recommend?

Default Re: which anti-virus/anti-spyware do you recommend?

I use Avast antivirus. The home edition is free and it scores good in most tests. It also doesn't use your whole system memory or processor power to run...

For spyware I use windows defender. I don't notice it doing something, so I guess it works fine...

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I use Avira AntiVir, Windows Defender, SpyBot, AdAware, and Comodo Firewall.

Fresh Paint

If you need a free anti-virus Avast is good, but for a paid one I use BitDefender myself.

I also use Spysweeper and A-Squared for spyware/malware

You can get BitDefender AV for 29.95 for 3 PCs for 1 yr.
    or Internet Security for 3 PCs for 49.95 for 1 yr.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 09-15-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Updated Pricing

personally all AV has there weak spots regardless, there will always be a virus of some sorts that will slip through, no AV is 100% effective.

when i used to have a paid for AV i used Synaptic Antivirus Corp Edition V10 (Same people that make Norton, only without the bloat and system ownage)

But atm i use AVG v8 (With link scanner disabled)

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Anti-Virus: Avast
    Malware: MalwareBytes
    Spyware: Adaware
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

most things do there jobs, people always work under the assumption that free AV/Mailware/Spyware are all rubbish, i think this is rubbish, yes some are crap (Excuse my french) but there are a few that made some ripples in the water.

Magic Bullet for example was the first free antivirus to use a professional database, it was also the first AV to beable to scan NTFS drives from DOS.

Antivir was the first AV to allow scanning of remote drives, also if configured correctly it could even run the active protection on a remote drive aswell.

But i still say if you pay for it, get either Mcafee or Symantic AV Corp V10 (Or higher)

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I run AVG with Spybot, but i give it a good thrashing with TrendMicro's online virus scan, Housecall every few weeks.

Funny, I have not seen anyone mention Kaspersky yet. Yes its expensive, but it works great. -I am running it.

i haven't mentioned it becuase i've never tried it, maybe when my av runs out i will try it next,

my bro was going to use it when his runs out as apperently it scored the best on the table for AV/Allinones

at one point i did use my own firewall, but i've lot the setup program, might re-write it with spyware scanning in it this time, might do, depends how board it get