Thread: Portal Speaker Mod by d_stilgar

Default Portal Speaker Mod by d_stilgar

This was a triumph!
    I'm making a note here...huge success!
    Even though it took awhile it was finally finished!
    But it only took d_Stilgar a couple of weeks, to finish up what was going to be leet!
    The sounds that come from the speaker of the cube that was...still alive!

-Ichbin
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 09-01-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Default Re: Portal Speaker Mod by d_stilgar

Yeah!!! That's a great banner and I'm happy to hit the front page. Thanks!

You deserve it, that was a great idea for a mod! I noticed that is looks like you used "particle board" for your box, in the future I would HIGHLY recommend using MDF instead as it makes for a much better sealed and sounding box. The best way (especially for larger subs) to build the box is to use 2 layers of MDF firmly glued together for each side. One other technique I have used persoanlly (but did not build it myself) is a dual-ply MDF box with a fiberglass core attached to the front board but not touching any of the other internal surfaces. It produces a very smooth tuned box, the best sounding box I've ever owned. For home subs which classically run at 8 ohms, you usually want a softer and deeper bass which this design provides. Great job though, I am suprised we don't see more speaker mods. +rep!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

It's MDF. I still sanded and used wood filler to get a smoother, easier to paint/finish surface. I would never dream of using particle board. It was, however, 3/4in MDF.

Ah, my mistake.