Thread: new modder with boundless ideas!

Fresh Paint

Cool new modder with boundless ideas!

greetings all,
    new to the world of modding. been trolling quietly around sites and forums gethering thoughts and ideas from what i've seen done thus far. i knew case modding was a big venue but had no idea how far one could take it. enough of me though...

i have an idea for my second case mod (first i done on my own and not too impressed, but everyone starts out small) but not wanting to jump into it without a little insight as to what i'm going to be dealing with.

The main portion of my mod idea is placing an LCD monitor on the inside of the case where the window normally sits. i have a spare monitor i could scrap to get what i need from it, but my problem lies with how to start. also, there are boards that have to go with the screen to make it work.

i have an x800xt radeon video card and by looping the cable through the back and to a splitter i can then hydravision the monitor so as to access it just like a desktop; same with the power cable (the one i currently have, a tosihiba, uses a power pack supply like a laptop, so the power cable is relatively small before the pack).

i know space is going to be the biggest issue and have calculated about 1in clearance from front bays to the side panel (not counting the plexi window, but if i have to, i'll toss it aside for the room.

so, any ideas or thoughts on this? i know lcd screens have been mounted into cases, but never on such a scale (the one i have in mind is a 17").

thanks again for any help

Resident Alcoholic

Default Re: new modder with boundless ideas!

This sounds like an awesome idea! I might give this a go also, as my uncle is giving me a new 15" lcd screen soon!
    (he gave me his old one for christmas along with full high speed wireless lan setup, but i got up drunk in the night and accidently knocked it over onto my webcam and the screen smashed! )
    I would also like to know if this has been done before and how difficult it would be for somebody with no electronics knowlage whatsoever...
    cheers
    H

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: new modder with boundless ideas!

It has been done several times over and as far as the labor, there is a whole lotta calculating involved as far as weight, stability, and over all air flow. I'd like to see how yours turns out. I would suggest going with some thicker plexi glass other than the window size so that it could somewhat support the weight of the screen from the ground of the pc. If you can do it with just the bare metal panel then kudos to you. If it's not a lan case or you don't plan on carrying it around then you don't have to worry to much about it.

Good luck to yah!!!

p.s. im probably not much help but i decided to give my two cents...