Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Revisit to the REP System

Default A Revisit to the REP System

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=272]A Revisit to the REP System[/drupal]

It's been about a year and a half since the Rep System went into place, and I thought it was time that we recognized those that have used the system well. The system was put in place to end wasteful posting. Like a many forums, TBCS had issues of people posting the minimum amount everywhere to get their post count up. Since the Rep System has been put in place, I have seen a notable change in the way many people post.

The question now is, who has the highest rep? And who has given the most rep?

The answer to both questions is one name, SgtM. SgtM has given Rep 1173 times! That means that he has clicked that little heart 1173 times! That's amazing. He gives rep about as often as he makes a post. This is impressive, and leads to some insight.

Many people wonder, how do I increase my Rep? The answer is really quite simple, give rep! SgtM gives out rep when he likes something. He has said himself, "I'm pretty easygoing on the rep. I used to max out all the time." To those of you that want higher rep, give some out.

A while back I wished that the rep system had been put in place a long time ago, because I had some mods that I posted here that I thought would've gotten me lots of points. Because of this, I searched through the forum for all my favorite mods, and gave those users lots of rep for those inspiring worklogs they posted before the system went into place.

Another way to get rep is to write a tutorial. People come to this site for inspiration, and to learn. Make it easy for people to learn by writing a tutorial. Your work will be appreciated, and people will thank you with some money . . . I mean rep points.

If you have joined in the past year, you may not be familiar with the system. Take a look at Bucko's guide and FAQ for the Rep System. While you are at it, give Bucko +Rep for making the quide. We will remember him a long time because of the lasing impact he made on this site, including that guide. I would love to see that he be the first to get max rep.

While you are at it you can give SgtM some -Rep to tease him. I kid! I kid! -Rep for no reason will result in -Rep given back.

To conclude, let's celebrate the Rep System by going out and giving out some rep. Search the site for your favorite mods and posts and give those users tonnes of rep. Remember to give rep more often. Keep it on your mind while you browse the forums. It will be appreciated and, hopefully, returned.

-Daniel
    Last edited by OvRiDe; 09-21-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Re: A Revisit to the REP System

For the record, I'm running a distant second in the # of reps given.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

-Rep for no reason will result in -Rep given back.
    How does that work then, since there's no way of knowing who's negged you?

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree View Post
    How does that work then, since there's no way of knowing who's negged you?
    This is a special situation--SgtM is a mod, he sees and knows all.

My Flickr Stream

ATX Mental Case

I for one, am indifferent to the rep system. I don't really care much for my post count, as I am more of a reader of TBCS moreso then a contributor, not because I'm selfish, but because I am not very knowledgeable and I don't have that much experience to begin with What I do have usually are questions, and I'm thankful that this community is 100% legit with the people that contribute to it, and so, if the rep system does nurture this, I am all for it!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    This is a special situation--SgtM is a mod, he sees and knows all.
    It's true. Certain staff can see who left you the rep. That being said.. handing out -reps for no reason would not only warrant geting that -rep removed, but also the -repper would get a couple of days vacation.

Honestly though, I feel that the rep system has worked out VERY well here. It was confusing when first implemented, but as mentioned in the article, Bucko did a lot to clear up that confusion. He was a great asset to this community. Now get to posting guys.. I got some more rep to give out!

- EDIT -
    How do you know you got rep from me? I always put my name in the comments box.

+rep for the guide..
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    +rep for the guide..
    Hah! (Hell, reckon I'll do the same. Good guide on an oft-underappreciated feature.)

I sign my rep-givings as well... It's nice knowing who appreciated a given post. Makes me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Just so everyone knows (not like you couldn't figure it out anyways), I sign off on close to 99% of my reps as DT. Every now and then my index figure gets a bit trigger happy, and I have a /facepalm moment. If you have ever gotten 5 rep from some anonymous soul, it is most likely me.

My Flickr Stream

I have a question. What exactly does "Cymae travels with the force as their ally" mean? I can't begin to point out the errors in the statement let alone wonder at what it has to do with reputation on the forum