Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Dark Carbon

Default Re: Project: Dark Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Hey Dan, I just had an idea. I was thinking, if you frosted all the exposed edges of the red plexi you would get a more uniform, softer, less in your face glow than the naked edges. Just a thought.
    actually I kinda did. I sanded them with some pretty rough sand paper. In other words, I didn't polish the edges. and it does give the edges some glow. I'm in the process of glueing on the black plexi. and believ it or not, it makes them look worse. basically whats happening is when I glue the black ot the red, it removes all the air space between the two pieces of plexi. the red leds light gets mostly obsorbed by the black plexi and not transfered through. the parts that do leak out into the red plexi lights up the edges but just not as much. Hard to explain.

There is really no way for me to change it now either. Its glued for good onto the case and if I try to remove it, I will destroy the red led stip lights along with the finish on the carbon fiber. Its really not that bad. just a little different than what I was planning on. But still looks good!.

I'll ge some pics for you tonight.

Hey guys. Got a question for you. How bad do you think it would be if I bought some Carbon Fiber film and applied it to my keyboard and video card?
    Before you get the wrong idea, I will be using real carbon fiber. Not vinyl sticker. Its just .015" thick. 1 layer of carbon fiber. I figured I could apply it to my GTX 280 and maybe the top of my keyboard. I'm already planning on pulling the orange led's out and replacing them with red leds. (Logitech G15 v2).

I just want some opinions before I order the CF.

Thanks.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by rendermandan View Post
    Hey guys. Got a question for you. How bad do you think it would be if I bought some Carbon Fiber film and applied it to my keyboard and video card?
    Before you get the wrong idea, I will be using real carbon fiber. Not vinyl sticker. Its just .015" thick. 1 layer of carbon fiber. I figured I could apply it to my GTX 280 and maybe the top of my keyboard. I'm already planning on pulling the orange led's out and replacing them with red leds. (Logitech G15 v2).

Thanks.
    they key board defiantly, i have the same one and i hate the orange. the cf would look good on it. it should not be a problem on the vid card. i dont think cf has any conductive properties. you should have no problem keep up the good work!

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Great stuff there Dan! Have you tried flame-polishing the black plexi edges? Might go a bit faster than sanding. Just gotta be careful not to burn them up lol.

Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Go for the Carbon Vid card wrap, and the Keyboard..... In fact The mouse wouldn't be overkill! Or the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by rendermandan View Post

Thanks.
    That would just be continuing the theme. So my vote is go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob View Post
    Go for the Carbon Vid card wrap, and the Keyboard..... In fact The mouse wouldn't be overkill! Or the monitor.
    LOL, well, monitor and mouse huh?

How does this look?

Lol. My monitor has CF on the ends and my mouse already has a cf housing. -Not real of course, but OEM. Depending on how much I have left over from doing the video card and keyboard I might be able to cover the ends of the monitor with REAL CF. -Not sure how to do the mouse though. You can't bend real CF in multiple directions. Even though the stuff is .015" thick, it will still only bend around 3/4" dia.

But anyway, I went ahead and ordered the thin CF sheet. In the meatime, I'll work on getting some pictures uploaded and make a progress report tomorrow.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

sweet.. will look killer mate
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Sacrificing Unto Sebek KiLLERMAN21's Avatar

Yes, CF film would look really good on your mouse/keyboard/monitor/video card, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    I tape my wallet to my cat.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I agree, and the real carbon should look killer, a lot better than that fake painted stuff