Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy and his fallout case ideas

Default Re: New guy and his fallout case ideas

Hey SgtSteve, that's a grand idea about the LED's as a temp monitor. The idea of using an old TV screen, well that's just inspired. Im looking for a simple 2+ line character display with a black bachground and green text. I've never programmed one before so it would need to be pretty 'entry level' or i'd need a hand at least putting the thing together. I'm gathering the tools i need for this, so far i've got a Rotary Tool, Heatgun, Airbrush, and i'm trying to get Nibblers. I was thinking about getting some of that instant weld stuff to mod the front of the case and get rid of the plasic components, and i was going to try and find some old electronics and steal things like Vaccum Tubes, if there's any still intact, which might be unlikely. One thing i was thinking about was making an imitation water chip from fallout, shoving a wee fan underneath it, and sticking it to the northbridge on the Mobo. Anyone like this idea, or do you think it's a but risky? I was planning to leave ample space between the imitation chip, the fan, and the heatsink. I wouldn't want to mod the CPU cooler much, but i'd like to get one that looks the part, and i saw a couple of nice ones, but i'm still gathering ideas together. Any suggestions for tools that i need to get, or ideas on paintjobs, LCD displays, etc. (or even a website that deals in retro technology would be nice). Thanks guys, i can really see this coming together now, thinks are looking good-i just need to pursuade my brother to part with his motherboard so i'm not stuck with what i think is a 200Mhz CPU. Thanks guys!

-Dave

Anodized

this is a great idea Dave post some pics when you get it completed for us, i was looking on a fallout fan site and saw some posted pics of a couple cases some guys had modded for Fallout and they looked really wikkit. they even had those old looking globes in there too. the pics were posted on http://www.nma-fallout.com/ but i cant seem to find the link to them.

with the LCD screen, i reakon itd look really good if you could getg it to play that dropping bombs pipboy screen saver from fallout 2.

if i get into this whole case modding thing i might attempt at a fallout case coz ive been a fan since one of me mates showed me fallout 2 many years ago...lol back in ye old days of sim city 2000
    "FALLOUT 3, WE SHAL NOT FORGET!!" - Ethan Ctrl-Alt-Del, webcomic

I to have been planning a Fallout case mod, but finances have held me back so far. Love the ideas you've put out so far. Keep up the good brainstorming and if I can think of anything to add, I'll chime in again.
    Leader of the Ghettobots.

Hey, I was going through some of my old notes and found this. My idea was to use it as a system monitor. If you put transparent green plastic sheeting in front of the screen it should work perfectly.

Overclocked

not bad, but it would be even better if it had the dotted look. Do you really think the plastic would work? Never heard of that before.

Yeah, it's the same thing they did back in the '70s and early '80s for arcade machines to simulate color. They would use plastic sheets with colored stripes overlayed on the screen for Space Invaders so that each line of ships would be a different color. Heck, every game for the Vectrex that I can think of had overlays.

You can check some out here.