Thread: Review: NZXT Rouge Ultimate SFF Chassis.

Default Review: NZXT Rouge Ultimate SFF Chassis.

Introduction: The NZXT Rouge Ultimate SFF Chassis is the best example of quality materials
    and solid case construction you should expect when selecting a cutting-edge gaming chassis for your home.
    It features many convenient access panels that allow you to easily install the various
    hardware components in there designated locations.

The NZXT Rouge Media Center HTPC case is a small form factor enclosure. Designed in effort
    to utilize available space or LAN mobility. It is also a convenient media source that allows you to take
    full advantage of all compatible entertainment devices through multiple input/output arrangements.
    It has been crafted from aluminum and steel featuring an impressive front panel door assembly
    that will last for ages. It has been designed to accept mATX or MicroATX motherboards.

NZXT, a company built upon gamers dreams, hopes to create products that put consumers first. With the objective of designing unique products catered for hardware enthusiasts and gamers, NZXT has grown into a globally renowned brand recognized for dedication towards creating the next great gaming product. NZXT has won numerous awards from media and publications from across the globe with a product line spanning from gaming chassis, power, and gaming input devices. As a corporation formed by gamers, NZXT continues to expand into new horizons and push the limits further with each product unveiling.
    Retail Price: $149.99
    Available at Newegg.Com $69.99 <=-

The rouge ultimate sff chassis was delivered in a square box that features the product
    design and specifications in a high gloss on the packaging for your viewing pleasure.

The case has been protected by closed cell foam that has
    been inserted on both ends to prevent shipping damage.

An owners manual, case hardware, and optional accessories have
    been included along with the case harness and shoulder strap.

The hardware required to extend the power supply region
    is included along with the case harness and shoulder strap.

The front panel assembly has been constructed from solid brushed aluminum
    it features an embossed area in the center with three vents near the bottom.

The top of the case features an overview window, and top access panel.
    You simply remove the thumb screw from the rear of the case and slide the panel off.

The side panel has a rounded area at the top and vents along the side.

There are two 120mm holes, and dust filters installed on each side.

With the top panel removed you can see the internal case structure.
    There is one clear 120mm fan installed on the rear of the case,
    and one black 120mm fan installed on the left case panel.

This is the rear view of the case chassis. The drive cage assembly is clearly viable and extremely well constructed. You can install the drives with the included drive slides in the appropriate slot.
    You can also remove the motherboard tray an install your selected mATX motherboard.

This is a fantastic view of the case that shows the available card slots, and power supply receptacle.

The thumb screws have been removed, and the motherboard tray
    has been pulled from the chassis to illustrate the ease of installation.

The front bezel is solid aluminum. It is without a doubt one of the strongest front panel designs
    I have ever seen. The front panel door rests on two metal hinges, and can be locked
    to prevent access to the drives, and and buttons that reside behind the panel.

Here is a view of the front panel with the door open reviling the drive bay covers, and
    the power and reset buttons. Also profile view of the front panel, and the drive receptacles
    on the front panel. It includes E-Sata, Microphone, an audio input, and (2) USB 2.0 inputs.

Here are the (4) expansion card slots that can be removed with a standard Phillips head screw driver.

Two 120mm case fans provide the case with fresh air effectively cooling the active components

The opposite side features a 120mm fan, and dust filter.
    You also have the option to install an additional 120mm fan in the provided space.

The side panels can also be removed to allow access to the hardware, fans, and dust filters.

Another view of the side panels and overall case construction.

The panels have been removed for the top, and side
    of the case to allow access to the internal hardware.

The NZXT logo complements the front panel design.

There are (3) vents that provide additional case ventilation.

A LAN bag in the form of a harness, and shoulder strap have also been included.

Securely fastened the harness is an effective tool that allows you to carry the case wherever you go.

Specs:
    Case Type: Aluminum - Steel HTPC Case.
    Front Panel Material: Solid Aluminum
    Dimensions: 422mm x 375mm x 279mm

Cooling Fans:

(1) 120mm Black "Back"
    (1) 120mm Blue LED "RSide"
    (1) 140mm Blue LED "LSide"
    Five total 120mm case fan mounts.

Drive bays:

(2) External 5.25" Drive Bays
    (1) 3.5" External Bracket
    (4) Internal 3.5" Drive Bays
    Screwless Rail Design.

Power Supply: Optional 500 Watt ATX 12V
    Product Weight: 8.8 Kgs Excluding Power Supply.
    Side Mounted Ports: eSATA, USB 2.0 x 2, speaker and mic port
    Available colors: Black with Red LEDs, Black with Blue LEDs, Silver with Blue LEDs.

(1)Carrying strap with shoulder harness included!

Motherboard Support:
    mATX, MICRO-ATX

Pros:
    Solid HTPC Case.
    Three 120mm Fans.
    Included Thumb Screws.
    Removable access panels.
    Removable mainboard tray.
    Metal front door with lock.

Cons:
    PSU Not Included.

Last edited by Eclecticos; 07-10-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Review: NZXT Rouge Ultimate SFF Chassis.

Excellent review! Good description, lots of pictures, I've wanted one of these for a while, now I want one again. Thanks a lot.

(Call me petty, but I can't pass it up: this case is the rogue. Rouge is a kind of makeup.)

+ rep
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

One of the best chassis around imo. When/if I ever build a desktop, it will be with a rogue.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    (Call me petty, but I can't pass it up: this case is the rogue. Rouge is a kind of makeup.)
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. This one's actually the Bleu. This is the Rouge:

Great review, though. I'm very glad I don't need one of these cases, so I can resist the temptation. +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Man, I've got way more cases than I need and I *still* want one.

I can see myself with lots of cases, swapping my system from case to case as I get tired of them. Is that bad?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Nice review on a case I personally love. Although, I'm wondering of the lack of a PSU should really be listed as a con? If it did include one, it would likely be sub-par, and only add to the cost. I would say the lack of inclusion is a pro in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Quote Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
    I'm wondering of the lack of a PSU should really be listed as a con? If it did include one, it would likely be sub-par, and only add to the cost. I would say the lack of inclusion is a pro in this case.
    I didn't catch that, but I agree. NZXT are better than many in regards to PSU quality, but the ones they generally include aren't ideal for long-term use. There's certainly a precedent for terrible power supplies in SFF cases, too... I'd rather they leave it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Nice review. I am impressed by the design of this case. I have a few questions though. How loud is it? Also can you post pictures with a system installed?

I really like the case but I get the impression is it hardly SFF. It seems to be lacking the whole "small" part. The footprint seems to be like two normal cases.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

You're getting quite the collection of NZXT goodies...
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream