Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windows isnt reading all my RAM

Default Re: windows isnt reading all my RAM

Sorry for double post, but does anyone know where I can find the Hole Remapping option in the BIOS of an EVGA 680i SLI Phoenix BIOS?

Current projects:
    Project:8core
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation
    ON HOLDFish Tank Media PC

I have no idea.

However on reading up on your board it can take 8Gigs of RAM - and so there "should" be no problem getting your windows to recognise most of your memory - when you find out the right answer.

I'm still concerned that XP Home is officially listed as only supporting 2Gigs but since you insist that was not an issue before then clearly you will find the answer.

Also have to add you have got one great board - especially for overclocking.

CrazyB

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Try a live cd of ubuntu x64, and see if that will recognize all of it.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

@Crazy B
    Yea, I really have no clue, maybe its because i had all ram installed on sp1, i really don't know. And yes, this is a great board, and for $80, it was a steal! I got my Pentium D 940 running at 4.00GHz stable. I can get it up to 4.2, but then i get an error right before windows loads about some file being corrupted or something. I'm getting Windows XP Pro x64 here after a while. The 2 gigs doesn't bother me to the fact that I don't use it much, but I still like knowing I have it.

Current projects:
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation

Quote Originally Posted by Karbon Killa View Post
    I'm getting Windows XP Pro x64 here after a while. The 2 gigs doesn't bother me to the fact that I don't use it much, but I still like knowing I have it.
    Well once you have XP Pro x64 you won't have any trouble with your RAM but, unless you are running the machine as a pro/semi-pro graphics/video rendering machine or for other optimized professional high throughput apps, going with a 64 bit version of windows will cause you other problems.

XP 64 bit is not the best-optimised 64 bit operating system by far. It does not allow access to the full set of operating instructions for 64 bit chips nor maximise their efficiency - you are far better off with a 64 bit Linux or Vista x64 if you want to stick with MicroDaft.

You will likely have numerous driver issues and other glitches. If this is meant to be a gaming rig upgrading to XP Pro 32bit or Vista 32 bit would make better sense almost certainly.

If you want to be "sure" the RAM is there then nevermind's idea of booting with a Ubuntu live CD is a good one as it won't make any changes to your system but you will be able to see that your RAM Mobo etc are actually all in there recognising each other.

CrazyB

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

And you can't upgrade to xp x64, or upgrade to Vista from it.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I run XP home 32 in mine, have 4GB installed, shows I have 3.53 or somehtin like that

I tried using Vista. I couldn't install my wireless PCI card or USB adapters. Any of them. So I went back to XP x32. Anyone else have any suggestions. My computer is now freezing in sketch up. Which I know is a RAM issue. Because before, it didn't do it.

Current projects:
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation

1. Before you installed Vista did you check your Mobo manufacturers site to see if it needs either a BIOS update to run Vista or if there are specific Vista drivers to download?

2. Maybe you fried some of your ram with all the fiddling around. So ...

3. Download Microsoft Windows Memory Checker from here and check if your ram is all working properly.

4. Also take it all out and reseat it nice and firmly.

5. If you have two different matched pairs make sure they are paired on the same channels.

Lastly try using the diagnostics on the Windows Ultimate Boot CD.

CrazyB

Had the vista drivers, they were fine. No BIOS update available. Back to XP now.

No RAM fried, CPU-Z sees it, and other OS' like Linux and OSX see it.

RAM is all working properly.

Been reseated multiple times.

All memsticks are exactly the same.

I can't think of anything else. I might try to re-install windows here soon. Maybe it might do something. If it doesn't I'm not going to worry about it.

Current projects:
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation