Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: windows isnt reading all my RAM

Default Re: windows isnt reading all my RAM

Lot of people having issues with the board and ram. Have you flashed the BIOS? there were several known bugs EVGA have fixed?

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...lling-ram.html

Matthew

I know the mother board is fine and isn't frying anything, because its only WINDOWS that isn't reading it...

Current projects:
    Project:8core
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation
    ON HOLDFish Tank Media PC

Quote Originally Posted by Karbon Killa View Post
    I know the mother board is fine and isn't frying anything, because its only WINDOWS that isn't reading it...
    I'm not talking about the MOBO frying anything necessarily but just that it seems to be a bug ridden board looking at the Newegg reviews. Seemingly BIOS revisions have improved things so if you are not at the latest BIOS release I would strongly suggest you try it.

I would also be wary of downloading service pack 3 which seems to chew up a lot of PC's though they are now fixing it's bugs.

Strictly speaking Windows is probably seeing the RAM - it is just reserving 2Gigs for the application space and the rest for the O/S and overheads, as XP home is meant to - I believe.

2 Gigs is still listed as the limit for XP home - however as I understand it, since SP2, both the 3 gig switch and the /PAE thing do nothing at all - and given many users are seeing 3G+ I am wondering if with SP2 the 2Gig limit in home was lifted at the same time.

Before I reinstalled windows, it was reading 3.5GB of RAM. I know that windows can't read past 3.5-3.75 depending on the person. I also understand that if you have a 1gb video card, it will take 1 gb out of your RAM and reserve it. So I should be reading 3gb. I know that the ram is there, and i know the OS reads it, I just want to know why it will not let me see that it is there, as at least 3gb...

Current projects:
    Project:8core
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation
    ON HOLDFish Tank Media PC

uhmm I don't think windows can read 4 gb, I know vista can, is the ram the right ram?

Any 32-bit OS can address upto 4GB (this includes system functions like IRQ, RAM, video card memory, etc), you need to enable PAE or get a 64-bit OS to address everything.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

PAE is not functional from SP2 on according to my research.