Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for an upgrade!

Default Re: Time for an upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    You know, I actually didn't think about that. Do they make TV Tuner cards for laptops?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20for%20Laptop

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ternal%20Tuner

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236042

That would be pretty much my entire pay check... but...

*sigh*

It does have a hundred dollar rebate, which would make it only 40 dollars more than the other one. And I was planning on spending around 300 anyways for both a monitor and mp3 player, but this would be without an mp3 player, but I could always use my mp3 phone or my room mates ipod nano until the paycheck after next. Hmmm...

That thing on the back isn't just a snazzy looking weight balance btw, its a 15W Subwoofer, which is pretty cool since I've been using crappy stock laptop speakers for sound. Also, reviews around the net are all saying that the speakers and subwoofer in this bad boy are actually pretty good. Not good enough to replace a 7.1 sound system, but certainly much much better than stock speakers from a couple year old laptop. Probably comparable, but not quite as good, to your cheaper logitech's, which is awesome if so.

Decisions, decisions...

Update: Made my decision.

I'm so buying it!

Now all I have to do is convince my room mate! (aka my mother from another mother lol)
    Last edited by Zephik; 10-17-2008 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Finally decided, yay!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

What is HDCP?

I looked up the definition but I'm not sure if I understand what it means. I thought it meant that the monitor is "HD ready"? Is that not so? /confused

Also, does anyone know what "WSXGA+" means? Never could figure those things out, is it not very important or is it something you should be looking at when looking around for a monitor?

One more thing; 2ms(GTG) response time? Whats that for exactly? And what is GTG? Good to go? lol

Hmmm... I lied. Question four (or five?); Is 2000:1 contrast ratio good? not so good? or somewhere in between? Not really important, just curious mostly.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

lol Sorry for all the questions. I've never bought a monitor before so I've never felt like knowing what it all means and stands for. I could look it up right now, but I'm off to work at the moment so this is easier.

+rep to whoever decides to explain it all to me!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

HDCP is the new digital protection required to watch HD movies.

WSXGA+
    is a the resolution 1680*1050 and an aspect ratio of 16:10. You may want at least this.

GTG is a measurement that samsung uses. It measures the amount of time it takes for a pixel to change colors. BTB (used by pretty much everybody else) measures the amount of time that it takes to change from black to white, which takes much longer. I read that 2msGTG is close to 10msBTB.

And yes, I would say that 2000:1 contrast ratio is good for an LCD computer monitor.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Okele View Post
    Can I suggest a monitor? I have a 07 version of this monitor and I love it still. Although it is missing a HDMI input because they werent standard yet. And the price isnt bad either, and Im sure they will be coming down too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1211587387624
    I have that monitor (the new version with HDMI) and it dominates. I have my 360 hooked up to it currently and when I get my new motherboard and RAM on Monday my new PC will be hooked up as a well.
    RIP Bucko

Is the monitor I'm looking at HD? Like 720p or 1080i? Not that it matters, just curious because my room mate asked if it was or not and I couldn't tell.

Also, I think I just ran into a snag. I'm using a laptop currently, how can I hook up the audio part of the monitor to a laptop? Didn't really think about that...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236042

Yes, that's HD. It would support 1080P, not i, though. It's reccommended resolution is 40*30 pixels short of 1080P. So, yes, it is HD.
    Help my mini city
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    Yes, that's HD. It would support 1080P, not i, though. It's reccommended resolution is 40*30 pixels short of 1080P. So, yes, it is HD.
    Sweet! I'll finally have an HD monitor then too!

**Just finished placing in the order**

Now we play the waiting game...

As for the little snag I ran into, I read somewhere that you can plug external speakers into the headphone port on a laptop and they'll work just fine. Can anyone confirm this? Just want to make sure ahead of time so I don't have to wait another week for a USB speaker port adapter mahjigger.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. I think I've done that before,
    Help my mini city