Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: keyboard issues!!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Exclamation keyboard issues!!

ok so I have a password to login to windows. I come home from work tonight and try to login. Keyboard won't work. Hmm. I get my dads (his is a ps2, mine is a USB) still no go. The numlick light is on and it's like the keyboard is frozen. I tried restaeting it, no change. How can I bypass the login screen or otherwise get into windows? I'm on my iPhone now. Thank god I have it

Default Re: keyboard issues!!

Start in safe mode by hitting F8 when the windows boot up begins. This will not load the drivers for the USB keyboard. You can then try uninstalling them and reinstalling them to see if driver corruption is your problem.

If this doesn't fix it then it is either some other software glitch or worse case a hardware fault you will need to track down.

CrazyB
    Last edited by Crazy Buddhist; 11-01-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: iCan

safe mode did nothing to help. Neitherjeyboard worked. I did use the admin account to disable the pw on my normal account and I got into windows normally. I unibstalled and reinstalled the drivers and hardware, even the software for my USB keyboard. Nothing worked. Under device mgr it says "windows could not load the driver. It is missingor corrupt. Code 39". It says that for the ps2 and the usb boards. The "f" keys on my usbboard work, but nothing else does

Ok, I tried booting with the cd and repairing it, the keyboard and mouse worked through the beginning part, but after the reboot the mouse freezes (even a ps2 mouse) and the keyboard still won't completely function. Only the function keys work, no #s or letters, so now I can't type in the product key. I also tried using recovery console, but I don't know how to use it. So now I'm stuck @ setup how can I fix this? Or at least get into windows and xfer my stuff to my 2nd hdd then just do a clean reinstall?

I've still got my old hdd w/windows installed, maybe I can boot from that drive then transfer my crap then just reinstall on my main drive

Live Long and Modify ContraptionMaker's Avatar

Here's what I would try...
    First don't use the USB keyboard, unplug it completely...some computers won't reconize USB boards until widoze starts. Make sure the computer is OFF when you plug in ps2 keyboard. Also try a different keyboard.
    Turn on the computer.
    Enter Bios setup (usually F1) and make sure that the ps2 port is enabled, disable USB and that halt on all errors is disabled.
    Try the non-destructive install again and see if you can enter cd key.
    Not sure this will work but would be my first steps.
    Let me know if you are still stuck and we can go from there.
    I Build, Therefor I Am!
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ine=1224642592
    Live today because tomorrow may never come!

The other question that has not been asked is if in the immediate period before this happened you had installed any new h/ware or s/ware at all?

Matthew

thanks for the suggestions. Nothing new was installed prior to this. I started the co puter and it was at the login screen when we lost power and it shut off. When I turned it back on I had the issue. I'll try it again tomorrow when I get home. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    I started the computer and it was at the login screen when we lost power and it shut off.
    Then your windows install is almost certainly corrupted - would have happened as the power was cut at this stage of boot. There is a minor possibility that something blew on your mobo.

If the non-destructive re-install doesn't work I think your best bet would be to retrieve the data and do a full clean install.If the full clean install leaves you with the same issue I'd start looking at the mobo.

Matthew

Everything worked perfectly, except I opened iTunes and it said it couldn't find the cd drive and to reinstall iTunes. Mouse worked fine, just part of the keyboard didn't. I don't think the mobo is bad, as they keyboard workedfine until windows would boot up. I'm going to install my old drive tomorrow and xfer everything and wipe it clean. I've been wanting to anyways to repartition my drive. Guess I have an excuse now

ok I plugged in my old HDD and booted it up, all works perfectly, so mobo is good thankfully

so tonight its on to swapping everything from my current drive to teh secondary, and reformatting/partitioning and reinstalling windows