Thread: Mounting Slimline DVD

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

Default Mounting Slimline DVD

I'm wanting to get a slimline DVD writer for my custom case and have chosen the DVR-K06. However have run into my first problem... mounting it.

I've had a quick look at the case and a quick look at the format factor ftp://ftp.seagate.com/sff/SFF-8552.PDF

However I'm still not sure how to mount it.

What have other people done. Do I need to make a custom mount? HELP!!

Default Re: Mounting Slimline DVD

I've seen people stick them down with Velcro or double stick tape. Or make custom mounting for them. I guess it really depends on what your custom case is going to look like. Will the DVD be part of your design, like Bod's BSG,

Cobramatic,

or Datamancer's

Or do you just need it positioned properly like
    Retromod

Take a look at mini-itx.com if you're looking for other ideas on how folks mount slim line drives. They're used almost exclusively by the SFF crowd over there.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I'm probably going to be sticking mine inside of my NES with velcro.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

After doing A LOT more investigating I have two options that I can see.

1)
    Vertically mount the slim CD drive with velcro and then mount a standard size hard drive on floor with a floor hard drive mount.

2)
    Purchase this mounting kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/Slim-DVD-Floppy-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Rip off the face plate and mount it vertically. However it will take up room where I was going to mount the hard drive. COULD I place a laptop hard drive (3.5") instead into the floppy drive section of this mounting bay?

Building a case from scratch is a lot more difficult than I first thought!

EDIT: For simplicity sake I might just choose option 1 even though it looks less professional. Option 2 will just give me other problems I'd have to overcome like how will I screw in the drives as theres no room on either side.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

A hard drive almost always WILL fit in a floppy mounting bay.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

If you haven't already, check out sketch-up. It's at times easier to understand and see how it's all going to come together if you draw it out first. Its also way easier to ask for help cause everyone has the same picture to suggest ideas.

Scratch building is a different challenge but rewarding in its own right. Keep after it and you'll do fine.

I have already done a mock-up in sketch-up found here: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...02&postcount=6

The design is based around a 10 litre spring water container.

The spring water containers are basically 225mm square however to keep costs down and to make upgradability easier and the case more useful I have had to increase the dimensions in my design to 260mm (making it compatible with micro-atx boards smaller than 230mm depth).

I've looked at mini-itx boards (170x170) but they are virtually impossible to get locally and trying to shove a power supply, 120mm fan, hard drive and cd rom drive in a 225mm square box and have it all easily accessable with the fan hidden so that it still looks like a water container was just too hard.

I wasn't going to have a cd rom drive, but not having a cd rom drive in a computer... well just makes it a pain in the rear!

Heres an image looking from the left hand side. There will be a removable cover to get to a hidden section. (not sure how cover will stay attached yet).

Inside at the bottom is a 120mm fan that will take cool air in from the top of the case. I have decided to cover the whole floor with mesh.

On the wall at the left is a 3 speed fan controller, then we will have 2 USB ports , then a mic and speaker jack, then on the very right I may also put in a reset button as there won't be one on the front.

The power supply will be located on this side of the case at the bottom with the CD rom vertically mounted at the front on the left hand side of the case (not pictured). If I horisontally mount it or mount it facing the front it will either block the fan or get in the way of the power supply.

I could get a smaller power making it possible to mount the cd drive vertically at the front but I don't find smaller psu's as reliable.

Also I'm using 120mm fans, as again, in my experiences I have found them to be more reliable and much quieter.
    Last edited by theshoeshineman; 11-20-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: More info..