Thread: How do i make this with metal??

Fresh Paint

Question How do i make this with metal??

Alrite, I'm scrapping my EQ2 mod for now and am working on an Atomic Bomb case called "Bomb Shell" You'll see it in the work log soon I hope Anyways, I'm trying to figure out how to make half of an "atomic bomb" out of metal and have it look nice without spending all sorts of money on it. Here's a picture of how I want it to look. The small drawing on the upper left part is the side view to see the depth.

I bought some 12"X24" PLAT STL
    (26 gauge). I'd assume it means plate steel. (Yea am a metal newb) I also got 30 gauge galvanized steel I think, which wasn't expensive and its more flimsy. So... my problem is that I want to make it all look as smooth as I can. I'm not sure how to go about making the top of the bomb look "domed" Someone said I should just get a mallet and pound out the whole thing out of one sheet, others think I should make a cone out of aluminum, but I don't want the point. My idea was to make metal strips and bend them in arcs next to each other to make a dome (if that makes sense) then put bondo on it to make it all smooth like. Then sand it, and spray paint it with like a grey "hammered" spray paint. But yea, I'm pretty much lost on how to go about this. Kinda hard to explain :\ Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Xcartguy

Does all his own stunts mittelmeier's Avatar

Default Re: How do i make this with metal??

Pounding it out of one sheet would be ideal but not easy to accomplish. You'd need a shot bag and the right hammers. Shot bags run $50 and up depending upon the size and if you get them filled or empty. I think the hammers are about $30 and up each. I haven't priced them in a while. If you have access to an english wheel that may get you the top part and then you could join the rest of the case to it. There may be a place locally that does metal work, that may be the easiest way. Your strip idea should work but you'll probably have to run one or two strips underneath perpendicular to the strips making the dome and rivet them in place. Don't worry about the rivets as the bondo would cover them.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Another option, is How big (depth of curve, and Diameter) Look into using a Stainless Bowl. Cut the lip off make a band just smaller then the inside of the bowl, that way the the cone will fit tight to the body.

The other way would be to pound it out of one piece. but as mittel pointed out the equipment for that isn't cheap. If you were going to reuse it all, then it's a good investment, but if it's just for this project Look for a bowl.

Oh, you can pick up an English wheel from Harbor freight for $150.00

and a PLANISHING Hammer (to speed up the pounding part)

Note, these are cheap imports so they may not be the best choice for everyday use, but as a starter it's a cheaper option.

Good Luck,
    CrazyBillyBob

Fresh Paint

Well, I was at Menard's today and I bought one of these http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...t_2013_9970009 except its just the top coned part, and none of that stuff on the bottom. I really didn't want a point but maybe I can sand it in some or cut the point out and make it more flat somehow. Hope it works Thanks for all the help. BTW does bondo harden like steel? Meaning it won't crack or anything? I might just sand off the point and find some kind of filler for the end, then smooth it all over with bondo. Bondo seems like a modders dream come true

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

You maybe further ahead using something like JB weld to fill that in then Bondo.
    JB weld is a metal reinforced epoxy, It's runny when first mixed, but then it hardens into a solid that can be sanded, or even tapped. It will not crack and split like a heavily bondoded part may.

You need to prep the area that your going to use JB weld on (or even bondo), Scuff it with some 100-150 Grit sand paper and wipe it down with Alcohol or Acetone.... Let it dry thoroughly then apply the JB weld or Bondo.
    If there is any oil, or contaminants on the metal the Bondo or JB Weld will not stick well and may pop off (in one big chunk, or several slightly smaller chunks!)

I still think going to WalMart or Target and getting a $5 stainless bowl is less work....

Good Luck!