Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual Monitor support

Default Dual Monitor support

Well I enjoy the Idea of having dual monitors, I was angered to find that my video card only had one dvi and one vga input slot(s).

(ps my graphics card is a 6800 regular)

Rankenphile

Default Re: Dual Monitor support

Depends on the monitor you want to run. If you want to run two dvi flatscreens, you will probably need a second vid card, but you can pick up a cheapie for about $40, most likely, to drive your second card. If you want to run two CRT, that's simple. Get an adapter to hook up to your DVI output, that allows you to hook a CRT monitor to it. I've done this before, and it worked fine.

Then again, you can always run one of each, but if you want to go with two monitors, you almost definately want to flatscreens, as having to CRT monitors side by side will take up a ton of room on your desk.

well thanks room is no real object but great about the adapter and well i want to run tow crts but do you have and (sujestions cant sppell today) of the tope of crts i should use

Resident Alcoholic

Dude, proof-read your posts before posting them, i could hardly make out a word of that!
    For what it's worth:
    I run 2 "CRT" (Shouldnt that be VGA? :S ) monitors, one of which uses an adapter plug to plug into the dvi port and it all works fine!
    Peace
    H

ATX Mental Case

make sure that you have a card that can handle the resolution of dual monitors too. I am running 2 24" widescreen CRT's with a total res of 4608x1440. my friend brought his PC over and tried it out but his card could only support 2560x1024 normal dual monitor (not dual widescreen) and seeing as how he was getting the same widescreen monitors he was a bit upset that he also had to get a new video card to support the monitors he had already ordered :p so would be good to check into that if you have an older/low end card. I run a Quadro FX1000 card for my monitors btw.
    where are you?

fact: different = abnormal
    observation: everyone is different, therefore everyone is abnormal
    conclusion: there is no normal, express yourself

Rankenphile

With that card, you should have no problems running two CRT/VGA monitors. I would recommend looking for two of the same size, preferably with a thin outer rim and flat screen, so that you can put them right next to each other, to reduce eye strain. One other thing I always look for in a monitor, and feel is more valuable than others seem to give credit to, is a black case, instead of white or silver. I feel that it helps to enhance the screen size and detract from the environment while helping focus on the screen itself.

Pretty much everything you need to know about running dual monitors has been said, but I would like to add one thing.. There is a pretty nice utility called UltraMon, it adds a lot of nice features for running dual monitors. I run dual CRTs at work and dual LCD's at home both using Nvidia cards and once you get used to it.. Its hard to use anything else..

Yeh, most new nVidia's support dual monitor output. Its a great thing.

Thanks everyone sorry about the miss spelling. I wrote that right after I found out my best friend has diabeties so i was a little shakey. anyway i was talking about what kind of monitors i should buy i am getting a crt so do you have any recommendations on what monitor I should buy??

ATX Mental Case

I've got 4 (four) 15" DVI LCD screens =)