Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cobra-matic : Retro Bakelite Phonograph

Default Re: Cobra-matic : Retro Bakelite Phonograph

Given the problem with the adapter plate on the motherboard.

I added a quarter inch acrylic spacer with standoffs to raise the motherboard:

With 8 leds:

Inspired by the Decobox mod and a desire to try out El Wire:

The El Wire is run inside of polyethylene tubing for a more muted effect. Helpful El Wire soldering tutorial.

Once in place behind the fan and grill, the El wire will add a soft amber glow to the inside:

Taped in place for now:

My girlfriend pointed out that the copper shelf liner on the back of the fan looks cheesy so I'll etch a replacement at some point.

Fan spinning:

Default Re: Cobra-matic : Copper Etching

Instead of the update on the psu, time to do something about the backside cover for the fan. Speed mod time:

Review method at:
    http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/gooteepc.htm

Design new back cover in CorelDraw:

Race to Kinko's and print the reverse image (always pays to have more than one):

Cut copper to approximate size (note stove background):

Put cutout laser print on copper; turn stove to 11:

Ensure SWMBO is gone ; use rolling pin to apply a metric assload pressure:

Turn off stove; dunk copper in water to peel paper:

Use thumb to clear more paper off; cover back in duct tape:

Recite "Do what you oughta, add acid to water" 3X, dunk in acid/ peroxide mixture for 45 minutes:

Rinse with baking soda & water, remove tape, clean with acetone:

Grin, Clean-up and go to bed:

Small update, the etched fan label epoxied in place

99.9% less cheese.

Default Re: Cobra-matic : Bezel Painting

Original color looks anodized but its paint:

Boiling in water and detergent:

Came off, easy-peasy, with a paper towel after boiling.

Polished with steel wool

Boiled the station selector also. It's solid brass, not plate.

Teaser shot of the paint for next time.

Mixed results on the paint. Alot of overspray and uneveness. I'll strip it off and try again tomorrow. The color is not too bad on the bezel but the grill is too flat.

Alot of progress to report on today. First, the second attempt at the dupli-color, went too heavy with the orange.

Stripped and polished for a 3rd attempt

The key was 7-8 light coats and wiping down the metal before each coat to remove powdered paint. I wasn't painting in the sun so not sure why the paint was powdered as bad as it was. It was hot today so maybe that's part of it.

Here's the final result. I'll let it cure for a week before hitting it with some rubbing compound.

Power supply painted

Aluminum mounting plate for the knobs

More later...

Attempts to put together a PWM controller for the bigboy fan based on the a QKits Speed Controller met with mixed results.

Soldered kit together, tests fine , wired to fan , growls like a cat . Plan B. Anybody have the pinouts on an Antec Tricool 3 way switch. Details would help the tear down that's going to occur.

Edit: Ok, think I understand

The idea is to make the middle knob control the fan speed.

The interface for the 3 knobs that can be manually controlled goes like this. The left knob = Power, On, Reset
    The right knob = Volume but can be switched to other inputs
    The middle knob = Fan speed?

For programmatic control, the leds and the el wire will be controlled by a phidgets relay control.

Some of the wiser TBCS member schooled me on the need for a momentary switch to turn on the pc and to also reset the pc if it locks up. Rotary switches are NOT momentary; they're in it for the long haul. Old radio knobs are no exception...or are they? Exhibit #1 for your perusal.

Thats a 3 pole - 4 throw rotary switch. Google will give you a better explanation but that means 4 knob positions that control 3 different things at once.

EEs and folks who've been at electronics for awhile will think thats nothing but to me, pretty cool to think a granny somewhere was using one of these to shift hundreds of volts around. But that's neither here nor there.

See that wire bit there? That's a return spring! Or momentary switch in a knob. You see the last position isn't locked; it'll snap back to position 3 if you let go of the knob. It can work as reset or power button. Here's where our story goes wrong though...

See that nicely painted power supply with the yellow lamp cord sticking out the base? Yes...lamp cord...I am duly ashamed to admit it. Tell me who I turn my dremel into now.

In a modding frenzy, the idea evolved that I could use the first position on the knob to replace the switch on the back of the power supply (which would have been hidden in the case). That means 115 volts through the center of the case attached to an antique radio switch.

Decidedly cool for granny's, not so much for me.

After doing this warranty voiding mod,which involved opening the power supply, cutting the switch post, and bridging the two halves with lamp cord, I got the feeling that there was an easier way....staring me in the face all along.

That's the jumper to make the power supply work when it's not connected to the mother board. It does the same thing as my bright idea but a lower voltages......

So....

Let us never speak of this again.

Note: In the following posts, xmastree tries his best to de-noob me in the ways of electronics. See the original worklog if you want to see the noob-tacular discussion in full -Mach
    Last edited by Mach; 11-17-2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Continuity

Hmm, so just three position.
    1 = off
    2 = on (via pulse)
    3 = reset (via pulse)

I thought that 4 could be to hold down the power button and force it, but then you'd need to go back through 2 when turning off. And if you really need to force it off, just go to 1 anyway.

Should work, so long as the switch can handle the mans power.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

More like below. I'm shorting the contact because its a break before make switch. I didn't think that the motherboard sense wire (green wire) carried mains power. I'll put a multi-meter across it tonight.

Pole 1
    1-1 OFF
    1-2 Green mother board sense wire
    1-3 Shorted to 1-2
    1-4 Shorted to 1-2

Pole 2

2-1 Empty
    2-2 Empty
    2-3 Motherboard header "On" with circuit described
    2-4 Motherboard header "Reset" with spring return so no circuit needed

Does this make sense, more importantly do you see a problem? Thanks much for the input.