Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12" TFT in a Plexi Case

Default 12" TFT in a Plexi Case

Some of you might have seen some of these pictures on a modding thread but this is my first worklog so bear with me. Also my camera is a bit low spec but I am looking to borrow a better one and throw some better pics of my rig up.

I wanted a PC that was original and that would look good, I thought about building from scratch but found a cheat. A kit that had all the parts to make whatever I wanted with a mobo tray included for less than it would cost to have the entire thing made from sheet metal.

So I started by buying this kit, called a lubic kit.

http://www.aerocool.us/aerocool-file...ubic-combo.htm

This kit is a bit of a pain in the ass to start with, you have to work out where to put sliders in order to mount further pieces and I found myself virtually ripping the entire structure apart just to put in one slider.

Finally I finished my case, Version 1.

As my imagination is slightly limited it was just a basic ATX case on wheels, I didn’t take any pictures as I didn’t like the design. So I dismantled it and started all over again.

This time I had more of an idea what I wanted to do, I started with the top and worked down, mounted the motherboard tray at the top and made it so it slid out, allowing easy access. Then further down still I placed the PSU, now I ended up with an inverted ATX design. The only problems I had were the drive mounts, I wanted to be original so I devised a way to mount the CD’s vertically and place the HD’s vertically below them.

This caused a problem with airflow so I moved the HD’s to the side of the case but still vertical, allowing space for a 140mm fan in the centre.

Now for the screen, the exciting bit.

I tried to get a 12” Touchscreen but found they were too pricey so I settled for a 12” TFT from Ebay.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/P1010055.jpg

Got it and took the casing off, drilled a few holes in the mounting plate and fixed it into my case but portrait not landscape. On the front where normally CD drives would be.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/P1010056.jpg

I rigged a VGA lead internally to give me output and made a connection from a molex to the Power pin I needed, (Not ideal but it will last for a while).

I mounted the rest of my components and then fired it up, the screen worked although still set to landscape.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/P1010064.jpg

After a while of playing around with the Nvidia Desktop I got my screen to run at 600x800 at a 90degree angle at a refresh of 80hz, threw on a RocketDock to allow easy application loading and then it was done.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/P1010061.jpg

From then on I spent about 1 week measuring all the externals so that I could have some Plexi cut. I went on to Ebay again and found some black gloss plexi at 3mm.

It arrived and I talked to friend of mine who has a CNC machine, gave him some drawings with all the measurements I needed, including holes for CD trays, fans etc and send him the plexi.

A few days later my plexi returned all cut and ready to mount, but I needed holes drilling to mount it onto my case. (Pics to follow later)

Default Re: Project: 12" TFT in a Plexi Case

For any who are interested here is the plexi. Needs some filing down in parts but it will soon be ready for fitting.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2/P1010067.jpg

Hopefully it will be finished soon.

Any comments are welcome as always.
    Craigr1982
    ----------
    Redemption HTPC Scratchbuild- Zotac 9300 ITX, Intel Q9450, 4Gb G.Skill 6400, LG Bluray Drive, OCZ ModXstream 400W, 2x 1Tb Samsung, Windows 7 Home. 32" Toshiba LCD TV.

Here are some more pics for you to look at.

People have been asking for pictures of the screen so here they are.

There will be more pics when it has some more sides on.

Enjoy!!

sorry about the size i will edit later on.
    Craigr1982
    ----------
    Redemption HTPC Scratchbuild- Zotac 9300 ITX, Intel Q9450, 4Gb G.Skill 6400, LG Bluray Drive, OCZ ModXstream 400W, 2x 1Tb Samsung, Windows 7 Home. 32" Toshiba LCD TV.

The VGA lead is a bit of an issue with me at the moment as it currently come out the back of the gfx card and then back in through a hole in the plexi at the back (there will be pics up soon) then it routes round the inside of the case and into the screen. I think its a bit of an eye sore so I am trying to find a better way of doing it. My screen has a VGA port so no modding involved really.

It looks even better in the flesh, my camera is a little dodgy as the colours look washed out on the pics.

Laptop screens are always harder as you have to try and figure out the connections. Laptops normally have an internal conection that you would have to rewire into a DSUB or SVideo. I would try and get some wiring diagrams for the laptop it came from (google) or maybe contact the manufacturer and ask them what wire does what.

Everyone is a n00b once, so dont worry about it.
    Craigr1982
    ----------

Ok more Pics as promised.

Rig from front

Rig top with CD open. (not stealthed yet tho )

Front and Side Veiw

Front other side

now the fan at the front is my old one, my new 14cm one hasnt arrived yet. Bloody Royal Mail, what are they playin at??

and my water cooling isnt set up so it runs a little on the warm side. Both CPU's are idling at 45C but it is coming along.

Comments are welcome as always

Edited ( Pics resized)
    Craigr1982
    ----------

I havent died just things have been hectic since I came back from holiday on sunday.

I did however find some time to do a little modding last night.

I mounted the USB and power / reset switches on the top panel.

The switches are push button illuminated switches from Maplins and the button it self is 3mm high, the same as my plexi. So they are flush with the top. The green will be my power switch with power led and the reset and hdd activity will be red. The picture doesnt really do it justice so you will have to take my word for it.

It looks good.
    Craigr1982
    ----------

wow, doesnt feellike this long ago since i posted on this worklog. Sorry guys for the lack of update.

Hit a bit of a stopper at the moment. having trouble fitting my 240mm rad in the case. its 10mm too long!

anyway here is the kit i got.

Thermochill PA120.2 rad
    2x xeon tdx blocks
    thermotube 6" res
    Laing D4 pump
    1/2" Tubing
    jubilee clips and extras.

I think I will have to have the rad mounted externally but I dont want to spoil the look of the case so maybe at the rear of on top if i have to.
    I was planning to have it mounted on the base of my case but the psu is in the way.

My current idea is to have the pump on the base of the case and the res upright inside. Just need some ideas on fixing this damn rad on.

Any suggestions?
    Craigr1982
    ----------

Right ok. been studying my case for bleedin ages today with the rad in hand trying to fit everything in.

Solution: Cant get it internal so i am going to mount it in a rad box on the top. Hopefully plexi enclosed with a mesh top. I did think about meticous solution but i cant move the psu much more and it would stop my mobo tray from sliding out the back. thanks though
    The pump will be mounted on the base of the case and the res will be ummmm.... yeah the res will be internal at a location as yet undecided.

Should the Rad box have the fans in too? or should the fans be in the case? does it make a difference?

I know i need to cut the tubing holes but if the fans need to be in the case rather than the rad box i need to have the top cut again for fan mounts.

Edit: reading this back it's gettin me confused i think i will show you what i mean

Craigr1982
    ----------

Double post as been doing a worklog elsewhere too

i have been thinking about having a new top made and vacuum formed that will hold the rad and fans too. will look a bit like a ram scoop on the front of a car. but with mesh on the top.

something like this.

just a quick sketch and not to scale in any way shape or form

will that be better?

I am also working on a different idea altogether like raising the case slightly to fit everything in. sketch to follow. (seem to spend more time sketchin than fittin the damn thing)

its got the pump and rad below in a seperate compartment the res is still where it is. i figure where the res is i can see the level from the outside but it isnt fully outside, only half of it is, (not sure whether the pic shows that properly.)

Opinions Needed!!

Please put in your post which you prefer.
    1 - the rad box roof vacuum moulded etc or
    2 - extension with watercooling in.

firstly thanks for the feedback guys.

i spoke to a friend who is involved with plastic moulding etc and he can do a radbox but it wont be until october as he is mad busy at work. Dont want to wait until then so I have extended my case. (thank god for LUBIC) only took about 30mins till i had it how i wanted.

However my case is now officially a BEAST measuring a whopping 57cm tall (not including castors) 46cm long and 24cm wide.

Of course this throws most of my plexi panels out, front, back and sides. i cant get any plexi till at least the 16th as my supplier is on holiday till then.

pic below with my NEW 8mb camera, cropped etc to make a file less than 1mb (damn you photobucket)

the cabling is a mess and the water is still out for now but its better. did a test fit with everything and its fine just need the plexi to mount things to.

comments welcome.
    Craigr1982
    ----------

this res mount is ****ing me off!

i want it so that only half the res is seen (as in my sketches. Unfortunatly this is a nightmare as I cant attach it to anything strong enough.

Went to B & Q and bought some drain pipe bits. thinking of putting the res on the side with some drainpipe hiding the barbs etc.

pictures tell a 1000 words so i will take a pic n then put it on here.

Its just resting on some scrap plexi but you get the idea
    Craigr1982
    ----------