Thread: WHiTE radio

Default WHiTE radio

on this years IFA (berlin), thereīs a new category for mods: modded consumer electronics or just "ce-mods". terratec was kind enough to supply interested modders with their noxon i-radio for free. i was interested !

timeīs very short so i chose a very conservative design. the shape of the radio stays nearly untouched but ill change some of the original materials to get a more precious look.
    plans for the case :
    - walnut veneer instead of plexiglass
    - alu-buttons
    - speakerguard made of 6mm alubars
    - all silver-grey parts painted white
    - rounding the edges with a shaper

qucik work with sketchup. dimensiosn are just appreciated. the speaker is a bit smaller in the original but that wont change the design in general. ill just scale it down.

this package arrived last week

mhh the radio is not that ugly but itīs definitly not a beauty. i dont like the "silvergreyiwishicouldberealalu" paintjobs. the used plastic tells me " i was made in china ..and i am cheap!". maybe this sounds like the iradio is just a piece of *#?$ but that wasnt my intentions. this little voices from china whisper from nearly all electronics on todays markets ( i know itīs my own fault .. i wouldnt buy the same product if they take 100 extra bucks for some real metal bling bling)

cleaning up

i found some nice veneer . not 100% shure but it looks very much like walnut
    anyway it looks exactly like the material i had in mind

the colours get closer to the final, painted , look when the wood gets wet.
    this wasnt just for a better look, i needed to press it. after at least 50 years of several attics you could ride a big wave contest on it

Questions or Suggestions? -- carbon-fever(at)web.de --

Default Re: WHiTE radio

thx guys, hereīs todays update

@grunt ... i dont think i really understand your post .. but i m not shure if i want to.

to cut the wood i did a mask first. makes is much easier to fit it to the box.

still a lot work until everything fits perfectly

i started with the speakerhole. the marks give me hints where i need to sand and file a bit more

done ..

veneer done so lets start with rounding the corners. ill use this shape.

before i apply the veneer, i prepared as much as possible
    bondo, sanding .. paint

todays topic is the grill for the speaker. step one: doin masks for cuttin the alu.

i cutted the 6mm sheet with a jigsaw. the aliminium looks really ugly but it was cheap ^^

i guess thereīs a lot of work to do until it fits the sketchup model from my first post

to get the right diameter i added 5mm plywood sheets. 5mm plywood + glue+ paper is nearly 6mm

after glueing everything together i sanded the base. the whole block will be glued to another wooden sheet and that connection needs to be strong.

glueing the grill right in the center of this would be quite difficult

some circles help a lot

weīre spinnin round round like a record baby ...

done ..

thx guys

works nearly done but today we use the lathe again. i still need alu-versions of the big buttons on the front ( navigation and volume)
    seems to be quite easy cause itīs attached to normal 6mm poti.
    the navigationknob is part of the case and hits 4 momentary switches.
    the dark part in the center is for the ir diode

my workplace. the volume knob is nearly done. the center still needs some treatment. the little steels you see there are just used for detail work. the steel i used for the grill was 3times bigger and with mounting arround 80cm long. the big mounting is important to get a smooth surface.

backside of the knob. the little notch helps my finding the center for the 6mm hole.

if you use just a short or no mounting for the steels the surface looks this way.. ( no problem here, this will be the inside of the navigation button)

i need a 12mm hole in there and a 10mm drill is quick way to get close to that. the final mm can be done freehand. drillin a hole of 12mm right through a 10mm aluknob would be pain is the arse with those little steels.

navbutton done. i just glued the original "lense" inside. the ir diode will be mounted inside the button, otherwise the viewing angle for the remote controll would be 2 small ( i guess)

time for a final update. it was a very short project,im sorry. i promise the next one will take some more time.

the last but one layer of clear varnish for the front.

i made some decals with a freeware vector grafic tool. only a few are used for this project, the others are for another thing thatīs only at planning stage atm. ill reveal that later ^^...

DAMN! this terrible picture was waitin for me when i visited IFA on first public day.
    i tried to fix it but i the first and quick attempt didnt work.

a second try on the evening, after the exibition was closed for the public, worked a lot better.

Link To Original Worklog
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 11-24-2008 at 10:51 AM.